Adult Basic Tutor Training in Conway will be held from 9:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at Faulkner County Library, 1900 Tyler St.
Literacy Action of Central Arkansas plans to offer the training course.
The workshop will prepare tutors to teach an adult to read. The workshop will include an orientation to Literacy Action’s mission and the ways to solve adult literacy problems in Central Arkansas.
Training includes an orientation to working with adult students and on tutoring techniques for basic literacy. The workshop will discuss lesson planning and documentation. Each student has been assessed to determine his reading level. Literacy Action will assist tutors in choosing appropriate materials for students. Every effort will be made to match tutors and students at the end of the workshop. Lunch will be provided. Please register in advance at www.literacylittlerock.org.
Workshop participants will:
1. Know the responsibilities of a volunteer tutor
2. Understand the characteristics of an adult learner
3. Determine individual learning style and discuss how learning styles impact student learning
4. Examine basic literacy teaching materials and supplemental resources
5. Learn how to help your student set short-term and long-term goals
6. Learn basic organizational and lesson planning formats
7. Understand how students are assessed to measure progress
8. Receive a certificate of completion
For those unavailable on a weekday, a weekend training session is being planned for the future.