1. LAST DAY TO AVOID THE 'CLIFF'
With the deadline less than 24 hours away, Congress remains at odds over tax rates for the wealthy and budget cuts to pay for Democratic proposals.
2. CLINTON HOSPITALZED WITH BLOOD CLOT
The secretary of state was admitted to a New York hospital after suffering a concussion earlier this month.
3.WHERE AL-QAIDA'S NEW OUTPOST IS
The AP's Rukmini Callimachi reports that Islamists have built a stronghold in northern Mali.
4. DEADLY BUS CRASH ALONG TREACHEROUS STRETCH
Oregon police said an interstate was caked with ice when the tour bus crashed through a guardrail and down an embankment, killing at least nine people.
5. CHAVEZ SUFFERS A SETBACK
The Venezuelan president is in "delicate" condition after new complications following his cancer surgery.
6. HAPPY NEW YEAR, SAMOA
The tiny nation in the South Pacific is the first in the world to ring in 2013.
7. WHY A SUSPECT SAID SHE PUSHED A MAN IN FRONT OF NYC SUBWAY
"I thought it would be cool," Erika Menendez told police.
8. BABY ON THE WAY FOR KIM AND KANYE
Kanye West broke the news on stage that Kim Kardashian is pregnant with the couple's first child.
9. A BID TO BAN "SPOILER ALERT"
"Kick the can down the road," ''trending" and "bucket list" also top a list of overused words.
10. TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE FOR SUPER BOWL CHAMPS
The New York Giants routed Philadelphia 42-7, but failed to make the playoffs when Chicago beat Detroit.