We are in the first week of December, the final month of 2013. I went to town yesterday to take son Kevin to the dentist. Everywhere you see reminders that the Christmas holiday is approaching fast. It gets dark early so it was dark when we left town. Kevin enjoyed watching all the Christmas lights.

The girls made a breakfast meal for our supper last night. On the menu was bacon, scrambled eggs, toast, and cottage cheese. It is nice to have the girls make supper when I have to leave for an appointment. When they were all younger I would have to make supper after I was home.

My husband Joe and daughter Elizabeth are back to work after being off Thanksgiving week. Although it is nice to have time off from work that also means no payday. The Good Lord will provide, though, if we keep our trust in Him.

Yesterday sister Emma dropped off her three boys here at 5:30 a.m. as she had a 2-3 hour drive to an appointment for her daughter Elizabeth, 17. Elizabeth had ear surgery in November and this appointment was a check-up.

I told our boys that if they went to bed earlier the evening before, I’d wake them up before Emma and Jacob’s boys get here at 5:30. I made breakfast for our five scholars and Jacob, 14; Benjamin, 11; and Steven, 6. They had 1 1/2 hours to play until the bus came at 7 a.m. The house seemed quiet after all eight school children left for school. They all had a good start to the day.

December 10th daughter Verena will have her 16th birthday. Hard to believe she will be joining the youth.

Elizabeth’s friend Timothy was happy to get his third deer of the season. His freezer quit working this summer and he didn’t discover it until all the meat was spoiled. He is glad to be able to put meat back in his new freezer. I tasted the venison steaks Timothy grilled and they were pretty good. I am not a venison fan but if I had not known it was venison it would have been hard to guess it wasn’t beef.

Joe hasn’t had any luck from where he hunts. Seems to be too many other hunters surrounding him so they head off the deer before they get to the woods Joe hunts.

Today is laundry day again. The temperatures were in the mid-50s when Joe left for work and now it is 33. Looks like we’ll just hang clothes to dry in the basement. After the laundry is done we’ll make some noodles if possible (Editor’s Note: stay tuned for some noodle photos!)

This is the first time I have made "Spellbinder Cookies" to take to church. Other women in our church make them so I thought I would try them. The recipe didn’t have a time and temperature for baking so I guessed at that. Hope they will work as well for you as they did for me. Blessings to all!



4 cups brown sugar

4 cups shortening

4 eggs

4 teaspoon vanilla

4 teaspoon baking soda

6 teaspoons baking powder

4 cups oatmeal

4 cups coconut (optional)

2 cups chopped nuts (optional)

6 cups flour


1/2 cup margarine

4 cups powdered sugar

4 tablespoons hot water

4 teaspoons vanilla

Cool cookies and then add the warm glaze.

Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually add sugar to butter in mixing bowl, creaming until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add dry ingredients, blending well after each addition. Stir in rolled oats, coconut, peanuts, and cornflakes. Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of glass, dipped in additional crushed corn flakes. (I did not find it necessary to flatten the cookie dough.) Note: I added 1 cup crushed Corn Flakes to the cookie dough instead of rolling the balls in it. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes. Drizzle with glaze.