Division Two Circuit Judge Troy Braswell Jr. continued until May 31 a pretrial for teen murder suspect Connor Atchley on Tuesday.

"When we come in on May 31, the court needs to know what we’re looking at … I’m not going to be too excited to grant another 60- or 90-day pass," Judge Braswell said.

Atchley’s attorney, Frank Shaw, said after the hearing that the defense would decide by then whether to ask for a transfer.

"We’re still considering moving for a transfer to juvenile [court]," he said. "[We’ve] not yet made that decision."

Atchley, 17, is one of four teens charged in the July 21 slaying of Robert and Patricia Cogdell of Conway.

Atchley and Anastasia Roberts, 17, are charged with two counts each of first-degree murder and felony theft by receiving.

Hunter Drexler, 18, and Justin Staton, 15, are charged with two counts each of capital murder, aggravated robbery, abuse of a corpse and theft of property by threat.

The Cogdells had been Staton’s legal guardians.

Roberts earlier this month requested a transfer to juvenile court. Braswell is scheduled to rule on that motion May 25.

In February, Staton’s attorneys told Judge Braswell they intend to seek a transfer to juvenile court. Braswell set a pretrial hearing for March 22 where a transfer motion will likely be discussed.

Prosecutor Hugh Finkelstein told the judge Tuesday he had no objection to the continuance but pointed out a 60-day delay likely wouldn’t work.

"I believe 60 [days] will bring us into the Justin Staton jury trial date, so something after that [would do]," he said.

Staton’s jury trial is scheduled for May 16-26.

(Assistant managing editor Jeanette Anderton can be reached by email at jeanette.anderton@thecabin.net or by phone at 505-1212. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to www.thecabin.net. Send us your news at www.thecabin.net/submit)