By Alex Kienlen

Log Cabin correspondent

from Conway Police
Department reports

The unique guest

Tuesday, Sept. 13, at 2 p.m. and police were called about a woman in front of a home. She was standing in the middle of a yard, dispatch was told, bent over at the waist and spitting. Officers arrived and found the described woman, 26, standing in the road at a nearby intersection. They investigated.

She was in town visiting a friend, the woman told officers. She met the friend at her work, a nearby department store, and the friend offered her a ride. The ride could be to either the bus station, to German Lane (for an unknown reason) or to her own home, once the friend’s mother arrived to pick her up from work.

The friend’s mother arrived and, after a short discussion, drove the woman to her home where she would prepare her something to eat, the woman told the officer. At the home she was offered light fare, a banana, which she refused, a hot dog, which she also refused, and a slice of watermelon, which she did eat. After eating the watermelon, she told officers, she felt a tingling in her mouth and presumed she’d been poisoned.

Fearful, she left the home and tried to get a neighbor to call police, but no neighbor would come to the door. As she told police her tale and continued to spit, the officer called an ambulance.

By now a lieutenant had arrived, in time to hear the woman tell officers she asked the friend’s mother what was going on and the mother, 65, replied she and her husband were going to kill the woman and her entire family. The ambulance arrived and took the woman to the hospital.

The officer spoke with the mother. She said she had given the woman some watermelon, which she spit out, then asked for Chinese food. She drove her to a take-out restaurant and the woman refused to eat anything there. The decision was made to take the young woman to either the police department or the bus station, she told officers, but she had to stop by the house, thinking she had left the stove on. Once they stopped there, the woman refused to get back in the car and police were called.

An hour later the officer was advised the woman left the hospital without being treated, the report concluded.

Plate headache

Monday, Sept. 12, and an officer on patrol a little after 4:30 p.m. spotted a sedan driving with no tags. Blue lights then, and the officer investigated.

The officer asked the driver for the usual paperwork, license, registration and insurance, and the driver, 27, handed over his license, telling the officer he did not have the other items. The officer noted the man’s license “had the word ‘void’ punched out of it,” the report stated. The other person in the car, a front-seat passenger, was asked for her license. She did not have it, she told the officer, but gave a name and birthdate.

The officer went back to his car to call the IDs in, and also to ask for an additional officer for backup. Dispatch replied that both the man’s and woman’s licenses were suspended. A second officer arrived.

The officer had the man step out of the car. As the man got out, the officer noted a packet of white powder fall from the man’s lap. The officer searched the man, and nothing illegal was found. In conversation, the man admitted his license was suspended. He also agreed the officer could search his car. The officer, in turn, said if the man wanted to get a licensed driver to come get his car he could.

The officer searched the car, finding another packet of white powder. A test kit was brought forth, thinking the powder might be cocaine, but it returned negative. The man said the powder was a headache powder, giving officers the brand name.

The man was unable to find a licensed driver, so the car was impounded. The man was issued a citation for driving on a suspended license.