By Alex Kienlen

Log Cabin Correspondent

From Conway Police
Department reports:

Nice guy

Police were called to North Conway on Sunday morning, Sept. 18. A horse, they were told, was loose in the area.

The reporting officer arrived and quickly spotted the horse. As the officer, and a second, continued to search the area they were not able to find a horse owner, only the horse.

A local horseman was contacted, who told police he wasn’t missing any horses. He, however, went to where the officers were to inspect the horse, again confirming it was not his, nor did he know who might own it. He did, however, bring a bucket of feed and a harness with a lead rope so the officer could handle the horse.

The man then went and got a trailer from his home in order to take the horse to a nearby pasture he owned, there with water and fresh hay, per the report. He told the officers they could keep the horse there until they found its owner, and gave them his phone number.

Ah, youth

It was 2:30 a.m., Sept. 18, when an officer on patrol came upon a young man hitchhiking near College Avenue. The man, while hitchhiking, was “very unsteady,” the officer reported.

The officer stopped and spoke with the young man, 20. There the officer was told the young man was on his way to a fraternity house, which he named. Noted here was the man’s “disheveled” appearance and “strong odor of intoxicants,” joined with the all-too-frequent slurred speech and bloodshot eyes. Also noted was blood on his clothes, apparently from a no-longer-bleeding cut on his finger.

To the officer’s question, the young man said the cut was due to his interaction with a barbed wire fence. He was at a party, he explained, when the police arrived to disband it. He took that opportunity to run away, and in so doing found himself crossing a barbed wire fence. There he cut his finger, he told the officer.

He didn’t have ID, he told the officer, but gave a name and birthdate. As the officer was concerned for the young man’s safety, he was cuffed and stuffed, held in the back of the patrol car while the investigation continued.

The officer called in the ID given, finding it returned to no living soul on the planet with that name and birthdate. The officer asked the young man for his actual name and birthdate, which he then gained, called in, and found the young man was from Texas.

The officer asked the young man why he lied. “I don’t know,” was the reply. He was then taken to the hospital to get his cut treated, then to jail to get the other stuff dealt with, charged with public intoxication.


The evening of Friday, Sept. 16, and police were called to an apartment building about, what they were told, was an intoxicated person.

The reporting officer arrived and found a Hendrix College Safety officer there. Next to him was a woman sitting on the ground with her eyes closed. The Hendrix officer told the Conway officer he’d been trying to get the woman to speak, but with little success. He didn’t think she was a student, he said. A second Conway officer arrived who recognized the woman from a nearby motel where she worked. Police called the motel and got the woman’s name and address, which turned out to be only a short distance from where they were standing.

Considering the woman’s condition, the reporting officer took her into custody and an ambulance was called. The woman tried speaking with the ambulance crew, “but it was never a full coherent sentence and at times made no sense,” the officer reported. The woman was apparently intoxicated, the ambulance crew told the officer, but had no dire medical need that required an ambulance ride.

The officer then loaded the woman up to take her to jail, but there jail staff refused to admit her. The officer then took her to the hospital. There, he reported, she became much more talkative, mostly in reference to aliens being inside her and Bible references, the officer reported.

Once she was treated and released at the hospital the officer returned her to jail. There she became uncooperative again, and the officer had to drag her inside the facility, he reported. As such, no mugshots were taken.