A special prosecutor filed 21 additional rape charges against a Conway doctor on Thursday.
Robert Rook, 60, was previously arrested on three counts of rape and three counts of second-degree sexual assault. He now faces 13 counts of rape, 13 counts of second-degree sexual assault and one count of third-degree sexual assault following allegations that arose in an extended investigation.
Special Prosecutor Jason Barrett said that while additional charges were filed Thursday, no additional bond would be set because the charges were added to an ongoing case.
Rook has pleaded not guilty to the previous charges filed against him. He is currently free on a $225,000 bond.
"The timing is disappointing in light of the fact we have a [motions hearing] on Monday where a motion to suppress evidence is pending," Defense Attorney Patrick Benca said.
It is unclear if the Arkansas State Medical and Licensing Board will revoke Rook’s license a second time. The medical board voted 9-3 in June to suspend his license amid rape allegations. Calls to Kevin O’Dwyer, the board’s attorney, were not returned as of press time Thursday.
"My hope is that he will be able to retain his license under the stipulation he is utilizing a chaperone," Benca said.
The medical board, which reinstated Rook’s license in August, "was aware of the possibility" more charges would follow given the ongoing investigation, Benca said.
Rook is set to appear in Faulkner County Circuit Court at 9 a.m. Monday.
(Staff writer Marisa Hicks can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 505-1277. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to www.thecabin.net. Send us your news at www.thecabin.net/submit)