• Oct. 6 — Faulkner County Republican Women’s meeting, 11:30 a.m., Smitty’s BBQ. Speakers will be all three Conway mayoral candidates: Bart Castleberry, Mark Elsinger and Scott Grummer.
• Oct. 7-8 — The Conway High School Class of 1961 will commemorate 55 years since graduation at reunion events. The class will gather at Larry’s Pizza on Friday afternoon and on Saturday at 5 p.m. for dinner at the Conway Country Club. For more information, call Judy Krepps Corcoran at 501 329-8584.
• Oct. 7-8 — The annual fall book sale by the Friends of the Libraries at the Faulkner County Library, 1900 Tyler St. The Friday sale, from 6-8:30 p.m. is for members of the Friends, but memberships for as little as $5 will be available at the door. Doors will open for the public on Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Oct. 9 — Conway AGATE, Advocates for Gifted and Talented Education, will hold its fall meeting, 2 p.m., at Conway School‘s Administration Building, 2220 Prince St. The guest speaker will be Ronnie Kay Erwin. Her topic will be: If you don’t advocate for your G/T child, who will? Dr. Charlotte Green, G/T and A/P supervisor for Conway Schools, will give an update on Conway’s G/T Program. There will be a time for questions and comments from parents. The public is invited. For more information contact Green at Conway School’s Administration Building.
• Al-Anon, noon-1 p.m., at Salem United Methodist Church, 1018 Salem Road. Call Marge, 501-329-5360 or Wanda, 501-472-9703.
• Conway Writers’ Group meets 2-4 p.m. at the Faulkner County Senior Wellness Center, 705 E. Siebenmorgen Road. Writers of all ages participate to improve composition skills. Newcomers are always welcome and encouraged to bring a writing sample to share.
• Free live music provided by The Lord’s Church at Dunn Hill, 6 p.m. 3 Debbie Lane.
• Anyone with connections,employs, etc. of the old Shoe Factory, Inc. (before SAS) are invited to a get-together at First Baptist Church in Enola at 11 a.m. For more information, contact Cecil Graham at 501-679-2669.
• Safety Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Lowe’s parking lot. The Conway Fire Department, Conway Police Department including K-9 officers, Faulkner County Sheriff’s Office and Arkansas Game and Fish Commission will be on hand. Kids will be given safety kits to build. The event is free and open to the public.
• Trinity Worship Center College Planning Day for high school students. The day includes sessions on ACT planning, scholarships, financial aid, student life and the parents’ role. The workshop will be held from 9 a.m. to noon at 1055 Sunflower Drive, Suite 109 in Conway.
• The annual meeting of the Blasingame Cemetery Association held at the cemetery, Oak Church Road north of El Paso. The meeting will be held In the pavilion. Bring lawn chairs. The meeting is for the purpose of discussing financial and other matters pertaining to the Cemetery. We will also elect officers and board members for the coming year. Hicks Blasingame of E1 Paso is the President and can be reached at 501-796-2839. Potluck lunch at noon and the business meeting will convene immediately after the meal. Anyone interested in helping to care for this Cemetery but unable to attend the meeting, may send a donation to Blasingame Cemetery Association, P. 0. Box 152, El Paso, AR 72045.
• Sen. Jason Rapert will host Arkansas Surgeon General Dr. Greg Bledsoe and Dr. Nate Smith, Director of the Arkansas Department of Health for a public forum on the proposed medical marijuana ballot initiatives at 6:30 p.m. The forum will be held in McCastlain ballroom at the University of Central Arkansas. Bledsoe and Smith will make presentations and then open up the forum for questions from the audience. All are welcome to attend.
• Conservative Forum will host lunch at 11:30 a.m. Chinatown Restaurant. The speaker will be Prosecuting Attorney Cody Hiland, from noon to 1 p.m. For more info call Bob Gregory 501-514-0727.