Former Marine and Conway native David Dubois, 50, lost his battle with Acute Myeloid Leukemia on Sept. 24.

Dubois was diagnosed on June 14, 2014, and since then, has been in a battle that his ex-wife, Mindy Dubois, said he embraced.

"David has always been a fighter," she said. "He saw this as something he could beat."

During his time in the United States Marine Corps, David was briefly stationed at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, Florida, a camp where residents were potentially victims of contaminated water from the 1950s through the 1980s.

Mindy said Camp Lejeune was where David was most-likely exposed to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.

David was diagnosed a day after his son, Casey, graduated from boot camp.

"We went to Tennessee and went through [the healing] process after he was diagnosed," Casey said. "We were there for four months. After he got there, he fell out of remission. He ended up doing three kinds of chemo treatments. He went through a lot. It was like walking death."

In addition to Casey, Mindy and David had two daughters, Straisley and Alyssa. Alyssa attends Conway Junior High School.

Mindy said David’s bone marrow treatments were hard to watch but that David had a great sense of humor about the way things were going.

"His humor really helped him get through what was going on," she said.

Mindy said his battle with Leukemia was tough and he wanted a lot of independence while going through it.

She said he stayed with his friend, Dwight Witcher, who would help David.

Throughout his battle with Leukemia, David posted updates about his condition on a Facebook page titled, "Prayer Warriors for David Dubois."

Witcher said David was involved in the community during his time in Conway.

David was the founder and the commanding officer of the Razorback Young Marines, a youth program that instills a drug-free lifestyle into students ages 8 through completion of high school.

The Razorback Young Marines are the first unit in Arkansas in the Young Marines of the Marine Corps League, which formed in 1958.

David’s funeral was held Friday at A Natural State Funeral Service Chapel in Jacksonville.

(Staff writer Andy Robertson can be reached by email at or by phone at 505-1246. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to Send us your news at