From Conway Police Department reports


She was far enough gone were the people at the drive-thru called about her. It was 9:27 p.m. Monday, Dec. 18, and the woman had pulled into the drive in at the Wendy’s on Oak Street. While the report has no record of the specifics which took place there, it was enough to prompt them to call police. The reporting officer was the second one to arrive, the first officer who got there added his report as a supplement.

He stated he pulled up to the restaurant and the woman, 39, the only person in the car was pointed out by an employee there. Her car, a black Hyundai, was in a parking spot, the woman apparently getting ready to eat. The officer knocked on the driver’s window and the woman looked up. Her eyes were bloodshot. They spoke and her words were slurred. Interestingly, and in a break from the usual detail in this type of report, there was not odor of intoxicants noted.

They spoke, briefly, the woman telling the officer about a shopping trip to some nearby stores - at least one of which having been closed for several hours. The officer called for a second officer, this would be the reporting officer, to do a field sobriety test on the woman.

And so it was done. The eyes-follow-finger thing, while not great, was okay, as it were, and followed by the walking and balancing tests. Those didn’t go well at all, the woman having a lot of trouble keeping her balance and walking in a straight line. She was taken downtown for a breath test.

Meanwhile the first officer, the one who first spoke with the woman, checked the woman’s car and purse, finding some pills and prescription pill bottles, for opiods. The woman also had a prescription bottle with her son’s name on it, this for a attention-deficit medication. The woman was asked about this, but said she didn’t want to answer as what she said, the report stated, “might be used against her.” The woman did, however, deny taking any pills that evening.

At the station the woman was given a breath test, where she blew a 0.0. Officers called for a Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) but could not find one available, they being out attending to other matters. A Sergeant called and said if the woman was willing they could do a urine sample. She was and a female officer was called for this. The woman was, alas, not able to provide a sample, at times becoming combative and argumentative with the officer. She did agree, however, to give a blood sample and was taken to the hospital.

At the hospital the woman decided she did not want to give a blood sample.

With that she was taken to jail.

Easy money

Some money was missing, and a woman came to police, meeting with an officer at the station. It was Tuesday, Dec. 19, at 10:30 a.m.

The woman said she was a manager at the Valero station. A employee who had been fired recently had stolen about $3,500 from the station between October and August, the officer was told. The woman was fired after police had been called to the business after the woman had been caught, and admitted to taking $120 from a register.

The manager explained: She had pulled store sales records for the year recently, and noticed that during that time the ex-employee worked there, returns to the store had a drastic increase. Further, after the woman was released from employment, the store had a drastic decrease in sales. She also presented the officer with video footage of the woman taking money from the register, as well as receipts for false refunds the woman made.

Free range Nissan

It was a mere seven minutes after midnight at the start of Sunday, Dec. 17, when an officer spotted an apparently abandoned 1991 Nissan Maxima at the corner of Old Morrilton Highway and Hogan Lane.

Cars using the stop sign at Hogan were having to swing wide to get around the car.

The trouble was the car was parked just outside the police’s jurisdiction. A quick call to the sheriff’s office and police were authorized to act, and the car was impounded and towed.