From Conway Police Department reports

The creep

Police were called to a fast food restaurant at 5:39 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 3 after an employee there reported being harassed. An officer arrived and spoke with the manager, as well as the woman who reported the harassment while she was working the drive-up window at the business.

The woman said she was working at the window when a man pulled up and made an order. After making the order he pulled up to pay and, while she waited to take the man’s money he showed her a nude picture of himself. The woman stepped away and asked her manager to complete the transaction.

The manager stepped up, not hearing the woman’s explanation about the picture. As he stepped up to take the money for the order the man at the window showed him a nude picture of himself. After this the man pulled forward, but remained in the parking lot. The manager took the license number of the man’s truck.

The officer, with this information, went the next morning to the address where the truck was registered, her reported. There he spotted the truck as described, except it was a different color than what was described by the restaurant staff.

The officer checked back and the restaurant, making arrangements for the employee and manager to be at the police station to participate in a lineup of possible suspects.

Squad missed goals

Police were called to Belk’s department store Saturday, Jan. 6 at 7:24 p.m. There the reporting officer spoke with an employee.

The man told the officer of a group of six people, three men and three woman, who came into the store intent on shoplifting. The three came in at 7:11 p.m. and went back to the store’s Polo section, the man told the officer. There the group began selecting items and putting them in a garbage bag they were carrying with them. The employee, seeing this, went to the group and asked if he could help them find anything.

With this the group began to break off and leave the store, the officer was told. After they were gone, the partially filled garbage bag was found hidden behind some items on display in the store.

The employee said he followed the last of the group outside and watched as they got in a black Camaro, giving the officer the car’s license plate number.

The items in the bag were totaled up, with a retail value of $1,761.80, before tax. The officer got security camera footage of the six as they went through the store, as well as voluntary witness statements from appropriate employees - which was entered as evidence.

Power’s a scam

Police were called to O’Reilly Auto Parts on Saturday, Jan. 8 just a few minutes after noon about a fraud which had taken place. There the reporting officer spoke with two employees.

The men told him of a couple who had come into the store three days earlier and bought an engine. The check they used to pay for the engine, it turned out, was forged, the men told the officer.

This became apparent after they got a call from the O’Reilly’s store in Fort Smith. The couple was there trying to return the engine, a fellow employee told the men. With that call the men called the Conway bank where the check for the engine had been deposited to make sure it had cleared. The account number on the check, the bank told the men, did not exist.

The Fort Smith store had also gotten the woman’s ID which they shared with the Conway store. This, in turn, was shared with police. Police were also given the license plate number of the pickup the pair left the store driving, a Ford F-150. (The license plate was not registered to an F-150, the officer determined.)

The man had given ID, including a driver’s license number, when he bought the engine. But that name and information did not return to anyone found by dispatch.