From Conway Police Department reports


Police got a call from 4th Avenue on Tuesday, Jan. 23 at 8:39 p.m. after a man reported his house being burgled. An officer met the man at the home to make the report.

The man explained he’d gotten to the house at about 3 p.m. and found he couldn’t open the door. Someone, he realized, had pushed a couch up against the door from the inside, blocking it. He went to the rear of the house and was able to make his way in, the back door having been forced open.

His house had been burglarized. Various items were listed on the report sheet, showing about a $2,100 loss, but the most disconcerting to the man was that the ashes of his girlfriend’s mother had been stolen along with the rest of the property.

The door had been deadbolted, so it was likely a neighbor heard something, the man told the officer. Also police saw a man hanging around the back of the house as they arrived to take the report. (He was too far away for the officer to provide a useful description.)

Photos were taken of the damage to be included with the report.

In the weeds

It was just after 5 p.m. when police were called to the Chick-Fil-A on Oak Street about a man there who “was unresponsive,” dispatch told them. It was Tuesday, Jan. 23.

Police arrived and found a man there, in the parking lot. The man was sitting in a 2002 Camry, and the Camry has sitting in some bushes lining the business’s parking lot it had backed into.

The officer spoke with the man at the wheel, the only person in the car. It didn’t go well. The officer asked the man, 30, if he had a medical condition or took medication for a condition and the man just looked at the officer, confused. The officer asked again. After a pause the man answered, but the answer was all but useless, as the man’s speech was so slurred and ill-formed. The officer asked him to shut off the car and get out and the man shut off the car and sat there, a confused look on his face.

After some encouragement (as it were) the man got out of the car. And, ladies and gentlemen, no odor of intoxicants was noted, either by the reporting officer or other officers on site. Still, all considered, the reporting officer expected the man was under the influence of something. That plus the man said he had passed out in his car, but did not know why.

It was time for the field sobriety test. Moves the finger, follows the eyes, six clues given (really, no surprise), came time for the walking, that not so well, footsteps did waiver, surfing some unseen swell. Finally the balance, and here’s a surprise, for balance he did, one foot closer to skies. With the clues given in total, however, the man was arrested for driving under the influence.

The car, prior to its impound, was searched. The officer found 27 tablets of what was suspected to be LSD, 2 grams of suspected methamphetamine, smoking instruments, various pills, and plastic bags, most small, some with residue within.

At the station he was given a breath test where he blew a 0.0 BAC. With the man’s agreement, a urine sample was taken.

He was jailed, charged with DWI, drugs, several counts of possession and possession of paraphernalia to manufacture.