From Conway Police Department reports

Eating evidence

A 32-year-old man was arrested last week for trying to eat marijuana to avoid being charged with it during a traffic stop.

According to an incident report, an officer noticed the Buick headed northbound on Harkrider Street on March 3 had expired tags. The officer noted in his report the tags on the Buick showed to have expired in 2016.

After the vehicle pulled over in the Walgreen's parking lot, the officer said he noticed the driver "remove his seat belt and in the same motion, put something in his mouth."

Once the 32-year-old suspect rolled down his window, the officer said he could immediately smell raw marijuana inside the vehicle and on the suspect's breath.

"Once the window was down, the odor of raw marijuana was apparent and was also coming from the driver's breath," the officer wrote in his report. "I noticed a cellophane bag in his lap with marijuana residue in it. It was apparent to me that the male had eaten marijuana in an effort to avoid being charged with it."

After handcuffing the suspect, the officer asked to see the man's teeth. Once the suspect opened his mouth, the officer noted seeing pieces of marijuana in the man's mouth. The man soon admitted to spitting out the marijuana. However, the officer was unable to find any marijuana on the ground.

The man was charged with possession of a controlled substance, tampering with evidence and for having fictitious tags before being booked in the county jail.

Dine and dash

An IHOP manager reported a group fled the restaurant without paying for their meal last week.

The restaurant manager described the suspects as two black males and a black female who brought two black children in to eat with them around 7 p.m.

The manager told authorities she went to get the group's bill around 8:30 p.m. March 3, but that when she returned to the table, the group was gone. The restaurant manager said she was unsure of what vehicle the group left in.

The unpaid bill totaled $57.58, according to the incident report.

Officers were able to get a description of the suspects based off security footage and also asked the manager to call with any follow-up information she may think of regarding the incident.

Early morning break-ins

Officers were dispatched to the Shell and Gulf gas stations on East Oak Street early Sunday morning after someone had broken the front doors.

According to the incident report, officers were paged out to the gas station shortly after 4:30 a.m. Sunday.

As officers arrived on scene, the it was apparent someone had broken into the store's main entrance. However, none of the alarms were going off.

No suspects were found inside the gas station, according to the report.

After searching the building, officers found a "softball-sized rock" in the floor believed to have been used to break the front door. Officers also located Newport cigarettes sitting on the floor behind the front counter, noting a trash can had also been knocked over and "several lottery tickets [were also] on the floor."

Authorities were not immediately able to reach the store's owners at the time of the incident, according to the incident report.

As officers were on scene, a report also came in regarding a possible burglary at the Gulf gas station on East Oak Street.

According to an incident report, an officer responding to the incident at the Shell gas station was approached by a woman out delivering newspapers that the front glass window of the Gulf gas station was also broken.

During the investigation, officers learned the cash register was taken from the Gulf gas station.