10 Years Ago
(2008) Deanna Massey and Destiny Height, 10th-grade students in Holly Swanson’s Human Anatomy class at Mayflower High School, were pictured watching Rick Murray, assistant professor of biology at Hendrix College, explain the different parts of the sheep brain during Brain Awareness Week at Hendrix.
Mia Graff, Casey Ott and Madeline and Brynn Schuetter, second-graders at Jim Stone Elementary, completed the last mile of the Little Rock Kids Marathon.
Matthew Sweere, fourth grader at Jim Stone Elementary School, was selected in the top ten of an essay contest for young writers sponsored by Creative Communication, Inc.
25 Years Ago
(1993) Steve Fulmer, Conway High School principal, was named assistant superintendent of instruction and personnel for the district. He would replace Jim R. Stone, who was retiring after 27 years with the district.
Members of Conway FFA built a flower bed for the Faulkner Nursing Center. Students pictured with the flower bed were Jarrod Richie, Marvin Kelley, Jason Moix, Angel Wall and Laura Brannon. Randy Romeo was adviser for the group.
Pam Ferguson opened Rollin’ in the Dough, a gourmet and specialty foods store, at 2850 Prince in the Old Salem Place shopping center.
50 Years Ago
(1968) The Conway Housing Authority would build 178 new units. Twenty-five duplexes would be built in the Brown Addition, east of Ingram and south of Highway 285 (Siebenmorgen Road). Fifty units would be placed on the present site of Conark Courts, Harkrider and Cemetery and in an area east along Highway 285. A high rise would be erected on the present site of Victory Courts on Sixth Street. Present housing at Conark and Victory Courts would be sold and moved away. They had been erected in the early part of World War II.
75 Years Ago
(1943) Private H. Louis Freund, Carnegie resident artist at Hendrix College since 1938, was inducted into the army but was never shipped out of Camp Robinson. Instead, he was given the status of permanent personnel and would remain at the center to paint a mural on the wall of the recreation hall at the reception center. The mural would be nearly 800 square feet, the largest he had ever tackled. It would be done on 4 x 9-foot panels with scenes that would depict the procedure of being processed for military service. The murals would take several months depending on the assistance he received.
100 Years Ago
(1918) Miss Mildred Merrill and Lt. Guy Raymond Farris of Conway were married in the presence of a small gathering at the First United Methodist Church. The wedding was a very quiet, simple affair as a war wedding should be. The bride looked very lovely in her blue traveling suit as she entered the auditorium on the arm of the bridegroom, whose soldierly bearing was quite in keeping with the uniform that he wore.
While the scene of his first speech in his race for Congress was at Beryl, his birthplace, the formal opening of M.E. Dunaway’s campaign would be at Conway.