10 Years Ago
(2008) Ag Pro of Conway held its grand opening. P. Allen Smith, professional garden designer and nationally known outdoor living expert, was a special guest. Ag Pro Company President Bill Hawkins and Greg Simmons, manager of Ag Pro Conway, were pictured at the event.
Payton Rhoades, a first-grader at Marguerite Vann Elementary, was pictured banging a hammer against the keiser sled at the “Crawl, Drag and Squirt” competition held at the school.
Tom Erbach, director of the Faulkner County Day School Work Force, was pictured helping set up for the FCDS omelet breakfast and silent auction.
25 Years Ago
(1993) Bob Meriwether retired after being a Hendrix professor of history and political science for 34 years.
The Faulkner County Fiddle Band was pictured playing following the 120th anniversary celebration for Faulkner County: Neal Buffaloe, Faril Simpson, Ferris Baker, Bill Whitenack and Ralva Bass. Rick Willbanks, president of the Faulkner County Historical Society, presented two historical society publications to Faulkner County Judge John Wayne Carter for the county’s use.
Susan Howarth, executive director of AETN, said network officials learned that a request for $350,000 in planning funds to build a joint AETN-UCA facility was placed in the top priority funding category.
50 Years Ago
(1968) The Conway Printing Co, which had done state printing since the 1930s, failed to receive a contract following bid openings. It held the contract for printing pamphlets and other work not covered in other contracts.
Dr. Frank Hudson, SCA math department chairman, and Don Adlong, SCA assistant math professor, signed a contract with Addison-Wesley Publishing to write an introductory math textbook.
Millar Hall, located a block west of Hendrix, was serving its last year as a dormitory. It would either be sold or torn down. It was erected in the early 1920s to house the former Hendrix Academy.
75 Years Ago
(1943) Five military police were assigned to patrol in Conway on weekends. Two WAAC military police also patrolled the downtown streets Saturday night.
The First Baptist Church congregation was expected to vote on calling Rev. James O. Eskridge of Edgartown, Massachusetts to the pastorate of the church to succeed Dr. Blake Smith who resigned February 1. Eskridge lived in Conway for a short time during his boyhood when his father was pastor of Second Baptist Church.
New officers of the Chamber of Commerce and Y.B.M.A. were installed at a joint meeting at the Hotel Bachelor.
100 Years Ago
(1918) Manager H. Terry of the Ideal Theatre announced that for a short time he would give $1 worth of thrift stamps to the person attending the movie who was holding the lucky number. The number, however, would correspond to a ticket purchased the night before, while at the movie.
Homer Wilkins of Conway, sent from the city to Camp Pike, was transferred to the medical department of Company “E” at Camp Beauregard.