From Conway Police Department reports

Teen cited for smoking in park

A Conway teen was arrested last weekend after allegedly smoking marijuana at Gatlin Park.

According to an incident report, local authorities were notified around 6 p.m. May 6 of "a white male and female" who were sitting at a picnic table at the park. The caller told dispatchers "it looked like [the suspects] were doing drugs."

The responding officer quickly located the suspects. In his report, the officer noted he "immediately smell[ed] the odor of marijuana" as he walked up to the man and woman in question.

The male suspect, identified as 19-year-old Caleb Phillips, "was extremely nervous" when the officer walked up, according to the incident report. During a consented search, Phillips admitted to having marijuana in his pocket.

"I asked Phillips if he had anything illegal on him, and he said no," the officer wrote in his report. "I asked him if I could search him. Phillips consented to the search. As soon as I placed Phillips in a position in which I could search him, he pointed to his right front pocket and said, 'I forgot, I have a small bag of weed.' I conducted a search of Phillips, and secured the small baggy of suspected marijuana."

Phillips was ultimately cited for possession of a controlled substance and arrested on scene and the girl who was with him was asked to leave the park.

Man driving without license plate cited for DWI

A 56-year-old man was arrested for allegedly driving while intoxicated last weekend following a routine traffic stop.

According to an incident report, the responding officer initiated a traffic stop shortly before noon last Sunday after noticing a gold Lincoln driving along Robins Street did not have a license plate.

As the officer turned on her blue lights to signal the suspect driver to pull over, she noticed the driver, later identified as 56-year-old Rodrigues Wricks, began to swerve into the opposite lane.

Wricks pulled over on Pearce Street, "stepped out of the car and immediately advised me that the car was not his, he was working on it, and he did not have a driver's license," the officer wrote in her report, noting the suspect smelled strongly of alcohol.

According to the incident report, Wricks was unsteady on his fee, had bloodshot, watery eyes and had difficulty answering questions while speaking with the responding officer.

"I asked Wricks whose car he was driving and he was unable to give me a name, however he said he had the car and was driving it because he was trying to see what was wrong with it," the incident report reads in part. "I again asked him whose car he was fixing and he told me to just look at the documents in my hand as he gave me current registration and expired insurance. I found it odd that the car had current registration but not tags to the rear. Wricks was not able to give me a reason why there were not tags other than the owner took them off and never was able to give me the owner's information or who was paying him to work on the car."

The officer, who said she suspected Wricks had been drinking, asked the suspect to perform a few field sobriety tests. After he was unable to successfully complete the tests — claiming at one point that he could not do the walk and turn because he recently broke his foot as he took his shoe and sock off — the officer had Wricks take a breathalyzer test. The breathalyzer test showed Wricks had a blood alcohol level of 0.24.

According to the incident report, authorities later learned Wricks had recently purchased the vehicle and had failed to register it under his name. The previous owner told the responding officer that they kept the other license plate after selling Wricks the vehicle.

Wricks was ultimately cited for driving while intoxicated, driving without a license and improper display of tags before being taken to the county jail.