10 Years Ago
First Security Bank recently presented “Spend a Little, Save Some” to Molly Cline’s first grade students at Ida Burns Elementary. A.J. Dickerson, Carson Francis, Ali Cargile, Eli Douglas and Nina Han were pictured with Penny Pockets, the program’s mascot.
Lynn Pownall, president of A Close-Knit Faith Community, was pictured with Janet Tobias, representative of the Nursing Home Gift Fund, as she presented handmade lap robes. The knitters and crocheters gathered weekly for Bible Study and to knit for charity.
Faith Church of Conway would hold KID Mania in June, three evenings of games, puppets, and prizes.
25 Years Ago
The Brown home at Caldwell and Center streets, one of five on the National Register of Historic Places, was sold by the Gist family which had owned it for over 50 years. Built by Dr. George Brown, the Colonial-revival style home was designed by Charles L. Thompson and built around the turn of the century.
The Goodwill Store moved from 504-506 Oak Street to 1069 Markham. The first Goodwill Store opened at 812 Chestnut in 1959.
James R. Murphy and Philip A. Shell were named loan officers at Security Savings Bank. Both had worked there since 1987.
50 Years Ago
Children of the Jack and Jill Kindergarten morning class had a picnic at Dr. and Mrs. Neal Buffaloe’s farm. Class members were Lauri Buffaloe, Karen Carter, Connie Carroll, Don Cook, Marc Floyd, Linda Leigh Flanagin, Robert Hartje, Marc Hatfield, Mark Hoggard, Mike Hudson, Terry Jones, Carol Langford, Ann Lyford, Danny Manion, Janet Nunn, Joanna Ott, Kim Reynolds, Richard Reynolds, Leanne Ridgely, Glen Smith, Monda Strange, and Dewayne Wilson. Mothers assisting Mrs. Collins Isom, the teacher, were Mrs. Gene Hatfield, Mrs. Bob Ott and Mrs. Jerry Manion.
The Bell Butane Company, at 1250 Robins, changed its name to Thermogas.
75 Years Ago
Rev. J.W. Hendrickson, pastor of the Church of the Nazarene, became chairman of the Faulkner County war price and rationing board.
The fifth WAAC class of Branch #3, army administrative schools, numbering 205, began training at ASTC.
Approximately 40 soldiers fighting flood waters in the levee No. 1 district of Faulkner County were stricken with food poisoning after eating noon mess containing ham on the levee. Some had to be removed to hospitals.
Lt. R.J. Daugherty of Conway escaped unhurt when he made a crash landing of his plane after a mid-air collision south of Silver Lake, Nevada.
100 Years Ago
Miss Frankie Davenport of Conway received a card from her sister, Charlsie Davenport, stating that the Red Cross unit in which she had enlisted had landed safely “over there” (probably in England). Miss Davenport was one of the 23 trained nurses from Little Rock that composed a unit formed by Dr. Snodgrass of Little Rock. Miss Nan Cole, sister of Miss Merle Cole of this city, was another member of the group.