The Faulkner County Sheriff's Office reportedly responded to a shooting incident involving a Mayflower city employee last week.

Records show authorities were called out to Crystal Hatfield's residence shortly after 1:30 a.m. May 28 after the city treasurer reportedly shot at a close friend following a verbal argument.

The victim called police stating Hatfield "shot at him and that he would be walking down the road," according to an incident report.

When deputies arrived on scene, they located the alleged victim "approximately 100 yards east of Ms. Hatfield's residence" and began questioning about the circumstances leading up to the alleged incident.

The man told authorities he and Hatfield had been drinking and got into an argument when she initially told him to leave the residence. Because the two had been drinking, the man said he called a friend to pick him up and proceeded to wait outside for his ride to arrive. As he waited for his ride, Hatfield allegedly came outside and told him to leave again when the situation escalated, according to the victim's statement.

"[The man] stated that while waiting in the yard for his friend to get there, Ms. Hatfield came out on the porch telling him to leave again," one of the responding deputies wrote in her report. "[The alleged victim] then advised at that time Ms. Hatfield went inside and came back outside with her firearm and fired a round. I asked [the victim] if Ms. Hatfield was pointing the firearm at him and he stated he did not think sh was pointing it at him."

Hatfield reportedly told authorities she fired off one round as "a warning shot" because "she was afraid [the alleged victim] was going to do something," noting "she told him to leave multiple times but her refused."

The responding deputy informed Hatfield never to pull a firearm out on someone unless she needed to protect herself in a deadly situation before allowing the alleged victim to leave the scene. According to the report, Hatfield agreed to allow the alleged victim to leave his vehicle at her house and later pick it up at a later time.

A criminal investigation regarding this incident had been initiated by press time Wednesday, FCSO spokesman Erinn Stone said.