A circuit judge denied setting a bond for a Conway man accused in a shooting that occurred at a residence on Joyner Drive in April.

Online records show Ricky Patton, 33, allegedly shot at another man following an argument as the two were playing a card game on April 15 in a garage of a residence in the 1300 block of Joyner Drive.

Patton stood in shackles before Circuit Judge Charles "Ed" Clawson Jr. and pleaded a bond be set so that he could go home to his children.

Lorie Mason, who represents Patton, aka "Little Ricky," in a separate case also spoke on Patton's behalf in an attempt to have a bond issued in his cases. Mason represents Patton in a 2016 matter where in which he is accused of a shooting incident that occurred at the intersection of West Brannon and Sturgis roads. The victim in this case was reportedly shot three times in his legs on Dec. 21, 2016.

Joe Don Winningham, who represents Patton regarding the April 15 shooting allegations, pleaded to Judge Clawson to set a bond on Patton's behalf, noting the defendant was not a flight risk and would not miss court.

"He's proven, based also on his ties here, that he's not a flight risk," Winningham said Friday morning, adding that Patton is primarily responsible for his children's care and was OK with being required to wear an ankle monitor if released from the county jail.

Prosecutors argued against releasing Patton from behind bars.

Deputy Prosecutor Joan Shipley stood before Clawson and explained she was not comfortable with setting Patton free because he was classified as a large habitual offender and is currently facing charges for multiple violent offenses.

"It's not just whether he will show up for court, but whether he will commit another crime [while out of jail]," she said.

Despite the several gun crimes Patton is accused of, his attorneys pleaded on his behalf, stating that none of that should matter when determining whether to allow him to be released from the Faulkner County Detention Center on bond.

"There's a difference of being charged with a crime and being convicted of a crime," Winningham said.

Clawson ultimately sided with the prosecution and denied setting a bond in Patton's case.

Due to the nature of the charges against him, Clawson said he would rule to continue holding Patton in the county jail without bond at this time.

"It's still out there [and] it is a violent offense," he said as those sitting in the courtroom on Patton's behalf began to weep. "As far as a flight risk, me and Mr. Patton go back a long way ... [A]t this point, I'm going to grant the state's motion to revoke bond. If there is additional information, we'll hear it at a pretrial [hearing]. These are all violent offenses [he's accused of]."

Online records show Patton's most recent case stems from an April 15 incident where he allegedly fired off five or six rounds at a man while the two were playing a card game at a mutual friend's house on Joyner Drive.

According to a probable cause affidavit, authorities were first alerted of the incident after the victim showed up at a residence less than a quarter mile away and said he'd been shot at. Court documents state officers located the victim soon after at the intersection of Sterling and Hathaway drives.

"[The victim] was obviously distressed as he was breathing heavily, sweating and not wearing any shoes," one of the responding officers wrote in his report of his initial contact with the victim. "The sweating and no shoes were notable as it was a very cold morning and [the victim] had wet/muddy feet. I could also see a small amount of blood on his right hand. He stated that the blood on his hand must have come from a bush that he had run through."

As officers spoke with the victim April 15, they learned he and the suspect — later identified as Patton — were playing cards in a friend's garage and "talking smack" to each other on the night in question.

According to the victim's statement, the two have known each other for several years and he did not believe Patton was trying to kill or injure him, noting he believes the five or six rounds Patton allegedly fired off at him were "more to scare him than to actually hit him."

The victim told authorities he arrived around 3 a.m. to the residence on Joyner Drive on the night in question and that Patton, who denied in a later interview with Conway police ever being at the residence, arrived about 20 minutes later.

According to the victim’s statement, Patton never threatened to shoot at him before firing off rounds from a .22 caliber revolver. As the two were “talking smack” by the pool table to each other, the victim said Patton began threatening to beat him up before stepping out of the garage. However, the victim said he was unsure if Patton went outside to get the gun or if he already had it with him when the argument began.

“Ricky said he was going to beat his [explicit] ... [and] went outside and came back in,” the affidavit reads in part. “He never made any threats to shoot him or kill him before he went outside or when he came back in. [The victim said he] did not know if Ricky had the gun on him before or if he got it from his vehicle. [The victim] had a filet knife in a sheath in his back pocket, but denies ever pulling it or threatening Ricky with the knife or any other weapon.”

According to detectives, damages to the homeowner’s garage wall and pool table show that the bullets Patton allegedly fired off were within close range of striking the victim.

Patton is scheduled to appear next at 9 a.m. Sept. 4 in Faulkner County Circuit Court for a pretrial hearing regarding the current allegations against him.