September 11

(2008)

10 Years Ago

Local National Merit semi-finalists were announced: Rachel H. Lindstrom, Emily A. Hoover, Mark D. Kremer, Bradford S. Martins, William A. Nance, Erik G. Urban, William W. Steele, and Helen L. Thompson.

During a reception in Dr. Terry Fiddler’s honor, the Conway School Board gifted him with the gavel he had used for the past 14 years as the board’s president.

Katie Baker, a kindergarten student at Woodrow Cummins Elementary School, was pictured presenting a banner to Dr. Woodrow Cummins during the dedication ceremony in the school’s cafeteria. Parents, teachers and students gathered to honor him and those who made the school possible.

(1993)

25 Years Ago

A grand opening was held for the new Wendy’s location at Highway 65B and Highway 64 in northern Conway.

Jannette Paladino adopted twin fawns, Eve and Ellie, after their mother was hit and killed by a truck. After three weeks, the fawns were sent to a new home near Stamps at the home of Dr. Vance Strange.

Advertisement: “Happy 40th Birthday Larry Oaks!”

The True Holiness Saints Center Church of God in Christ relocated to 1127 Front Street from Veasley Funeral Home. Rev. E.C. Maltbia was the pastor.

Bible Study Fellowship began its fall schedule at Woodland Heights Baptist Church.

(1968)

50 Years Ago

Pupils attending Jack and Jill Kindergarten, 212 Baridon Street, for the fall morning session were: Leslie Benafield, Krista Dison, Joey Di Tamaoso, Mary Di Tamaoso, Mark Frieze, Monty Fulmer, Karen Garrett, David Hastings, Jamie Hickman, Seth Hickman, Jack Hubert, Jennifer Jacobs, Scott McDermott, Pam Murrell, Peter Pflugrath, Richard Reynolds, Erica Sanders, Sandra Stephens, George Thompson, Jr. Susan Thompson and Suellen Wilcox. Afternoon students were Bill Alread, Beth Brazear, Georgia Clark, Leslie Falls, Ellen Frenkel, Brenda Grissom, Darryl Heathscott, Valerie Houser, Randy Hull, Tina Miles, Marguerite Shaw and Lisa Witt. Mrs. Collins B. Isom and Mr. Isom hosted an open house.

(1943)

75 Years Ago

Mrs. Carl Dreher, manager, announced that the Conway swimming pool would close for the season. The pool, formerly known as the Kuykendall pool, had had a successful season.

B.A. Short, superintendent of Conway Public Schools, said that 1,383 pupils had registered for classes. There were 305 enrolled in the high school, grades 9 through 12.

A committee was appointed at the Arkansas pastors’ school to consider raising funds to build an auditorium at Hendrix College.

Sid Thornton rented the Laney building at the corner of Front and Van Ronkle to open a restaurant. The building was being remodeled and equipment installed.

(1918)

100 Years Ago

Mrs. Guy R. Farris received a cablegram announcing the safe arrival overseas of her husband, Lt. Farris, who sailed from an Atlantic port. Lt. Farris was the commanding officer in charge of 4,000 infantrymen who were carried over on an Army transport.

Mrs. G.M. Walthall returned from a visit with her daughter, Mrs. Howard Malone, in Plumerville.