From Conway Police Department reports

After leaving Taco Bueno, 60-year-old arrested on suspicion of DWI

A 60-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated Wednesday evening.

Conway police received a complaint of a white 2014 Nissan Frontier that was driving erratically along Dave Ward Drive near south Donaghey Avenue around 8:30 p.m.

Police caught up to the vehicle in question soon after the driver left the drive thru at Taco Bueno, according to an incident report. As officer Chuck Myers followed the truck, he saw the Frontier "hit the curb twice and when turning into the Harlan Park Trailer Park, it turned too wide and went off [the] road again."

The driver, 60-year-old Forrest L. Pennington, told the responding officer he was driving erratically because he'd recently taken his medications. As he collected is insurance and registration paperwork for the officer, Pennington asked if he could instead walk around the truck to search the passenger's side for the required paperwork.

"To find his insurance, Forrest asked if he could exit the vehicle and walk to the passenger door," the incident report reads in part. "I said that was fine and I noticed Forrest had difficulty walking and held onto the side of the truck. Forrest advised me that he has had several surgeries, even directing me to scars on his left knee, which gave him pain. Forrest's eyes were glossy, but I could smell no odor of intoxicants and therefore took Forrest at his word that he was under the influence of prescription medication."

Officer Myers opted to arrest Pennington on suspicion of driving while intoxicated for being under the influence of a narcotic, noting the 60-year-old was driving dangerously.

On the way to the police department, Pennington told police he'd taken his Hydrocodone medications that day but that he took his medications at 7 a.m. "and wasn't under the influence of that." At this point, he admitted to drinking Vodka and agreed to take a breathalyzer test, which showed he had a blood alcohol concentration of .17.

Pennington was ultimately charged with a DWI and also cited for having an expired driver's license before being taken to the county jail.

Harassment call involves suicidal suspect

Police responded to an incident involving a man who tried to hang himself outside an apartment building and was running from family members down College Avenue.

According to an incident report, CPD initially received a complaint regarding a possible harassment incident shortly after 7:45 a.m. Thursday before heading toward College Avenue.

"While driving to the call, dispatch advised that there was a black male in a white shirt running down the street trying to get away from his mother who was in blue scrubs," officer Brad Hartwick wrote in his report. "As I turned onto Helen Street, I saw the two individuals on the far end of the street. As I approached, it appeared that the woman ... had her son ... in a side headlock and was walking him down the road."

After attempting to talk to the mother and son, the woman's 20-year-old son quickly became angry and cursing at the officer. According to the report, he yelled at the officer not to talk to his mother and at one point "squared up" toward the officer's patrol vehicle.

The 20-year-old's mother said her son was acting violently, noting "he was angry and suicidal and that she wanted [the officer] to arrest him."

Once the 20-year-old was detained, the officer met the mother and other family members, along with the 20-year-old's ex girlfriend, at a residence on Mildred Street. While at the Mildred Street residence, the officer learned the 20-year-old had tied two shirts together and tried hanging himself from an outside stairwell before his ex-girlfriend helped him to the ground, "at which point he took off running towards Helen Street."

As the officer spoke with the 20-year-old's friends and family, the 20-year-old reportedly attempted choking himself on the seat belt in the back seat of the officer's patrol unit. After untangling the 20-year-old, the officer ultimately charged the 20-year-old with disorderly conduct and took him to the county jail. Before leaving the jail, the officer informed jail staff the 20-year-old was suicidal and needed to see Counseling Associates before being released.