A Conway man who pleaded not guilty to several counts of rape earlier this month for allegedly abusing a close family member is scheduled to appear in circuit court Tuesday morning.
Online records show that 39-year-old Malik Jamar Carter was released from the county jail in lieu of a $250,000 bond on Sept. 24. He has since been charged with nine counts of rape, and prosecutors are asking his bond be raised or stricter restrictions be imposed on the conditions of his current bond.
Deputy Prosecutor John Hout wrote in an October motion to increase bond that the current conditions are not sufficient, because officials "learned that the address on his bond is the same address as the victim, despite his being presented with a no contact order."
The request also claims the current conditions "are not sufficient to prevent the defendant from approaching a particular class of parsons" and that additional rape charges were filed against Carter following his release from the Faulkner County Detention Center.
Records show the alleged victim confided in a psychology teacher in late August, which is when she also wrote out a two-page statement detailing the allegations against Carter to her mother.
The alleged victim told authorities the abuse began upon her first menstrual cycle when she was in the fifth or sixth grade, according to a probable cause affidavit.
"When she started her period, Carter told her that she needed to take better care of herself and would do what he called a check by inserting his finger [inside her]," the affidavit reads in part. "That continued for a few years and then escalated to him performing oral sex on her. He wanted her to perform oral sex on her, but she refused."
Her statement details the abuse to occurring on a weekly basis, usually between noon and 1 p.m. Saturdays.
The girl also told authorities Carter had blackmailed her to keep her from telling others, stating he would show her mother the videos he’d recorded of he abuse if she did not cooperate. She said she was unsure where Carter’s phone was propped to record the incidents “because she would keep her eyes closed [to avoid] seeing what was happening to her.”
As the teen spoke with sheriff’s office investigators on Set. 7, she showed authorities where she’d received several messages from the suspect “that indicated an ongoing sexual relationship.”
According to the felony affidavit filed against the 39-year-old suspect, the alleged victim's mother confronted Carter after learning of the allegations against him and he began to apologize and asked several times what he could do to "make it right" and "fix it."
Tabatha Branch, who represents Carter, filed a waiver of his arraignment in late October and entered a not guilty plea on her client's behalf.
The rape suspect is now scheduled to appear before a circuit judge Tuesday morning in Faulkner County Circuit Court for a pretrial hearing.