From Conway Police Department reports
Conway resident reports stolen food funds
A Conway man reported his Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program card was used several times after he lost it.
According to an incident report filed Friday, the alleged victim told Conway authorities that he lost his SNAP EBT card "sometime in early January and [was] not sure exactly where he lost it or if it was stolen."
Since losing the card, he learned the card had been used at least seven times.
The man said the card had been used at a Kroger in Little Rock as well as a Big Red gas station at an unknown location on Jan. 23; at Kroger on Maumelle as well as two Big Red gas stations and a Walmart on Jan. 24; and at a Dollar General Store on Harkrider Street on Jan. 29. According to the incident report, the purchases used with the alleged suspect's SNAP card collectively totaled $349.76.
Business man reports theft
An unknown suspect reportedly stole more than $3,000 from Arkansas Elite 4Force Marketing Inc. using fake checks.
The owner of Arkansas Elite 4Force Marketing filed a theft report on Friday after noticing a large sum of money had been withdrawn from his business' account. After noticing the missing funds, Billy Hayes said he learned four fraudulent checks that had his account number and business name on them were deposited and quickly withdrawn from his account on four separate dates: Jan. 22, Jan. 23, Jan. 25 and Jan. 29. Collectively, the unknown suspect stole $3,083.24 from the business, according to the report.
Officer Joey Zulpo said he believed each of the names written on the fraudulent checks to be fake identities as well, adding that the addresses associated with each withdraw returned to real estate listings in their respective states.
The signature line on each check was also suspicious, the report said.
"The signature space on all of the checks were printed, 'This draft authorized by your depositor ... NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED.'"
According to the report, it was unknown at the time the thefts were reported where the fake checks were deposited and what locations was used to withdraw funds.
Driver caught not wearing seat belt, found with suspected meth pipe
A Conway man was arrested Friday morning after police learned he had a pipe with suspected methamphetamine residue in it, according to an incident report.
Officer Haley Hudson pulled over a maroon 2003 Hyundai Sante Fe at 9:41 a.m. Friday after noticing the driver, who she also recognized as a man who had a suspended driver's license, was not wearing a seat belt, an incident report said.
In her report, she noted seeing the suspect "fumbling with the [seat] belt in an effort to place it across his body" after she drove up next to his vehicle to confirm whether he was wearing the safety device. After confirming she recognized the driver and also that 50-year-old Steven C. Marshall was not wearing his seat belt, the report states Hudson proceeded to pull over the Sante Fe the 50-year-old in question was driving.
Marshall was nervous while speaking with Hudson, and denied not wearing his seat belt but did immediately admit he was driving on a suspended license, according to the report.
"As Marshall spoke, I was able to observe the fact that his hands were violently trembling, that he appeared to be sweating despite the exceptionally cold temperature outside and that he was unable to maintain eye contact with me," the incident report reads in part.
Authorities soon confirmed the suspect was currently on probation and had an active search warrant on file. Hudson asked Marshall for permission to search his pockets and vehicle. According to the report, he did not have any contraband in his pocket, but Hudson did find a glass pipe "that was shrouded with a white, cloudy residue" in it rolled up in a black bandana in a backpack.
Marshall was ultimately arrested and charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, driving on a suspended license and also cited for reportedly not wearing a seat belt.