10 Years Ago
Graduates representing seven decades of Conway education filled the newly renovated auditorium, part of Conway High School-East, to rededicate the building. Jim Stone, a 1950 graduate, took his fellow “antique Wampus Cats” on a stroll down memory lane during the program. Members of the class of 1937, the first group to graduate from the building, were special guests.
Ethan Ake, a Conway High School senior, earned the rank of Eagle Scout. His father, Todd, and two uncles were Eagle Scouts.
MaKaylea Mize, Kilmeny Cummings and Marrisa Lyndsey helped kick off a Greenbrier St. Patrick’s Day Celebration with their clogging skills.
25 Years Ago
“Toadally Big Band” was the theme for the 1994 Toad Suck Daze Pageants to be held April 23 at the Conway Public Schools Auditorium. Don Bingham was the pageant director. He and Miss Capital City Jill Bingham served as master and mistress of ceremony.
Capt. Herb Belding was presented with the Beaverfork Volunteer Fire Department Training Award for 1993. He participated in 77 drills and other training events, logging in 121 hours for the year.
Cosby Jolley of Conway Dance & Gymnastics won the all-around competition in a Flip-Flop Academy Open at Pine Bluff.
50 Years Ago
A groundbreaking ceremony was scheduled for March 18 for Kimberly Clark’s $6 million tampon manufacturing plant—to be known as Conway Mills. The new facility would be constructed in the northeast corner of the Conway Industrial Park at Commerce Road and Exchange Avenue. W.L. Leipold of Neenah, Wisconsin, the new plant manager hosted the groundbreaking which was followed by a luncheon at the Holiday Inn. Bernard Nabholz Company of Conway had the contract for the grading and preparation of the 31-acre site. The 75,000-square foot building would initially have four lines employing 160 persons.
75 Years Ago
L.S. and V.R. Brockinton purchased the old fairgrounds property from H.B. Ingram and the Sam Frauenthal estate. They would put a 500-square foot native stone cattle auction barn in the middle of the property and pave Garland Street from Hwy. 65 to this barn. Lincoln, Factory, Hamilton, Merriman, Garland and Willow streets would be reopened. A native-stone 300-square foot used automobile and wrecking barn would be erected on the northeast corner of the property and a 34 x 90-foot native stone furniture was being erected on Van Ronkle along with 12 rent dwellings.
100 Years Ago
The Hendrix students certainly are a loyal bunch. Though the war is over, they had not lost their enthusiastic loyalty. With the spirit that led 500 Hendrix men to join the colors, the student body proposed to erect a suitable memorial in honor of the soldiers who went out from the college to fight for humanity. They proposed to put approximately $2,000 into a fund to erect a monument to be placed in a conspicuous location on the campus. The monument would have a full record of the names of the men and the part they played in the war.