Sherie Cochran unseated Tonya Hammontree for the Position 1 seat on the Greenbrier Board of Education in a tight race during the annual school election on Tuesday.
Cochran narrowly defeated Hammontree by garnering a little more than 51% with 563 votes while Hammontree received nearly 49% with 536 votes, according to final, unofficial results the Faulkner County Election Commission released.
In the only other contested school board race in the election, Ron Ussery handily defeated Tammy Sublett for the Zone 3 seat on the Mt. Vernon-Enola Board of Education. Ussery got nearly 76% with 148 votes while Sublett received a little more than 24% with 48 votes.
Unopposed election results include:
• Scott Champlin retained his Position 3 seat on the Conway Board of Education.
• Trip Leach was re-elected to his Position 6 seat on the Conway Board of Education.
• Tim Nolan, Ed Sellers and Gina L. McNew all retained their respective seats on the Vilonia Board of Education.
• Pat Raney was elected to the Position 1 seat on the Mayflower Board of Education.
• Ashley O. Ealy was elected to the Zone 1 seat on the Guy-Perkins Board of Education.
During the Arkansas General Assembly’s 2017 session, it passed a bill switching the date of the annual school election, which was previously conducted in September, to either May or November. School districts were given the choice. In Faulkner County, all six districts — Conway, Greenbrier, Guy-Perkins, Mt. Vernon-Enola, Mayflower and Vilonia — chose May.
For more information about the election, visit http://www.faulknercounty.org/votefaulkner.com.