May 24

(2009)

10 Years Ago

Greenbrier High School graduated 232 students at UCA’s Farris Center. The 13 Highest Honor graduates were Edgar Castro, Whitney Davis, Chris Eckman, Brenden Hawk, Kristin Hilliard, Chelsea Holley, William P. King, Bradley Lorenz, Taylor Neal, Kalan Pope, Ashley Tennis, Lauryn Walters and Elizabeth Williams.

Conway Christian High School graduated ten in the class of 2009, dubbed the “last small class.” Enrollment at the school had increased to almost 650 since it opened with 88 students in 1991.

A larger theater to replace the current theatre in the Conway Towne Centre was in the planning stages.

(1994)

25 Years Ago

St. Joseph High School seniors Sara Dodgen and Brett Bruich were named Optimist Teens of the Month by the Conway Noon Optimist Club.

Brothers in Christ Coalition (BCC), a group of Conway musicians, would perform at Riverfest in Little Rock. Members of the group were Ray Martin, Rocky Thomas, Tracy Flemons, Jason Jordan and Lance Kershner. Martin, Thomas and Kershner were on the Sonshine Academy staff.

Diane Langford’s kindergarten class at Julia Lee Moore planted a tree in memory of their classmate, Coy King, who was struck by a car earlier in the year.

(1969)

50 Years Ago

Proceeds from a second premiere showing of “True Grit” at Hot Springs would benefit the Arkansas Children’s Colony. Proceeds from the $50 a ticket first premiere showing in Little Rock benefitted the Democratic Party of Arkansas.

Eastside Baptist Church would build a sanctuary at its location on Hwy. 64 and Milam Drive. Rev. Earl Stout was the pastor. The church was organized in September 1968 and had grown to 50 members.

The Grand Opening of Glover’s Holiday Gulf Station adjacent to the Holiday Inn in Hwy. 65 would be held for three days beginning May 22.

(1944)

75 Years Ago

Plans were announced for a new $200,000 chapel at Hendrix College. A campaign would be launched to raise the funds. The late Harvey C. Couch of Pine Bluff had left $13,000 for building purposes at Hendrix. He raised this money during the last year of his life.

Women interested in opening a community canning kitchen at ASTC met in the southwest corner of the basement of Doyne Hall.

The late Dean A.J. Meadors of ASTC was honored by the board of trustees when the new men’s dormitory known as the “annex” was formally renamed A.J. Meadors Hall.

(1919)

100 Years Ago

Tax Assessor Roy Rogers and township deputies J.B. Higgins and G.M. Easterwood began placing taxable valuation on property, both real and personal, as well as listing all male citizens over age 21 for poll taxes and dogs over four years old. A big increase in assessments was expected. P.A. Roland, a real estate expert formerly with Bahner & Company, was employed to list the assessments in the real estate book.