This building is still standing. Where is it and what was its original purpose? Please send your answers, comments and stories to email@example.com
Last Week’s Reveal: While we had several correct guesses that this picture was taken in the depot, the complicated part is that it was taken in the old depot. These five men were working in the original Conway Station train depot office about 1905. Beginning in 1870, the train stopped at Conway around 10:24 a.m. each day on its way westward and returned about 2:36 p.m. In 1888, twice daily passenger train service was established.
Built during the years 1869 to 1870, this passenger and freight depot was a 20 x 95-foot wooden structure which was expanded slightly in 1871 and remodeled again in 1886 when a cotton platform and tool house were added. Stock yards were built in 1896 and a sand house was built in 1900. Yet another remodel took place in 1903.
In 1913, the old wooden depot was rolled across the tracks to the west side so a new depot could be built. It was remodeled and used exclusively for freight services and warehouse space. The new 25 x 180-feet dark red brick depot with a red tile roof opened in April 1914.
This photo is part of the P4 Faulkner County Historical Society Photograph Collection housed in the UCA Archives. To see more Faulkner County photographs and artifacts, visit the museum, its Facebook page or its website www.faulknercountymuseum.org Help preserve the county’s history by supporting the museum!