(2009) Hendrix College welcomed the public to The Village at Hendrix to view the grounds of the first single-family residence and two mixed-use buildings. Andres Duany, Hendrix’s master planner, explained some of the ideas behind the project. Paladino Construction began demolition on the old police station. The area would be used for a parking lot after being cleared. Wes Craiglow was back in Conway, resuming his job as a planner with the Conway Department of Planning and Development after spending nine months in Baghdad leading a squad of 28 enlisted men who were tasked with clearing the streets of Baghdad of explosive devices.
(1994) Frank E. Robins III retired as publisher of the Log Cabin Democrat, ending 100 years of Robins family leadership for the 115-year-old paper that focused on Faulkner County. A $1.9 million loan from the federal Rural Development Commission was approved, allowing the Beaverfork Volunteer Fire Department to complete its long-sought water system. John W. Allison, chairman and chief executive officer of Spirit Homes, Inc. of Conway, was named a director for the State First Financial Corporation by its board of directors. The announcement came after SFFC’s new affiliation with First Commercial Corporation’s network of banks.
(1969) Diplomas were awarded to 183 graduates at the Conway High School commencement held in the high school gymnasium. Bluebird Kindergarten held its commencement with diplomas presented to David Burgess, Amy Raymond, Melissa Hancock, Amanda Lieblong, Don Starr, Chuck Thompson, Mark Rodgers, Billy Parks, John Gunderman, John Jackson, Stuart Goodloe, Donnie Beene, Jerry Hansen, Billy Ford and Danny Wolfe. Madalyn Selensky would marry Adolph Dayer on May 31 at St. Joseph Catholic Church. Patricia Daugherty, the groom’s niece, would be maid of honor while John Dayer would serve as his brother’s best man.
(1944) Dr. W.C. Ferguson, dean of ASTC, delivered the commencement address to the 54 Conway High graduates. The three top-ranking students were William E. McMahon, valedictorian; Virginia Shaw, salutatorian; and Mary Virginia Robins. Organization of a community group hospitalization plan for the Conway Memorial Hospital began. Age limits were 90 days to 65 years. Monthly rates were 75 cents for individuals; $1.25 for a member and one dependent; $1.75 for a member and two dependents; and $2 for a member and three or more dependents. Thirty days of hospitalization for each family member would be provided annually under the contract.
(1919) The Elks initiated 50 charter members and elected officers for the year. Officers elected were: A.L. Barber, exalted ruler; L.F. Holt, leading knight; J.B. Cubage, loyal knight; W.S. Hanner, lecturing knight; Wellington Robbins, esquire; Charles S. Deal, inner guard; J.Z. Bailey, Tyler; E.H. Coulter, secretary; George Shaw, Jr., treasurer; Jo Frauenthal, William Van Valkenburg, J.F. Holt, W.M. Harrell, W.S. Hanner, and H.B. Ingram, trustees. John Morgan Martin and Emmett Lee Springers, Faulkner County soldiers who had been in France for some months, reached New York. They were inducted May 1918 and trained for a short time at Camp Pike.