(2009) The Conway School Board of Education approved a plan for spending $7.4 million in federal stimulus money. The school district received about $1.2 million in Title 1 funds; $2.1 million for Individuals with Disabilities (IDEA) funds and about $4 million in American Recovery Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funds. The ARRA funds would be used to upgrade facilities. Buildings would get new lighting and finishes, HVAC units, keyless access, video surveillance and general repair. The Conway City Council unanimously voted to ask city-owned Conway Corporation for a five-year loan the city money to purchase the $3.75 million Spirit Homes property.
(1994) Grace United Methodist Church announced the appointment of Dr. Bob Crossman as its first permanent minister. The church was meeting at the UCA Methodist Student Center. The state Child Care Facility Review Board voted to allow HAVEN House to begin offering long-term care to its residents. Janice Malone, director, said this meant the nonprofit shelter could allow children to stay as long as they needed. Dino, known for his award-winning “Chariots of Fire,” presented a concert at First Baptist Church. St. Andrews Place, 3501 College Avenue, held a grand opening/open house for its new 84-bed facility.
(1969) Keith L. Woosley was elected to teach social studies and coach track at the Conway Junior High for the 1969-70 school year while Mrs. Kenneth Glover, Jr. was hired to teach math. Johnny Simmons, a senior high football assistant, was leaving coaching to devote his full time to the real estate business. Dr. Faril Simpson, associate professor of chemistry at SCA, received his doctor-of-education degree from the University of Arkansas. Mrs. Ora Elizabeth Smith Hutchins, Conway’s first phone operator celebrated her 94th birthday. She operated the phone service from 1896 until 1904 when she married Judge A.L. Hutchins.
(1944) Rev. James M. Workman was named pastor of the Conway Methodist circuit, succeeding Rev. Paul M. Bumpers, who entered the school of theology at Southern Methodist University. The Humko Company of Memphis offered a salute to Conway on the Jack and Jill radio program. The broadcast would be carried by station KARK in Little Rock. Sam R. Adkisson, vice president and cashier of First National Bank, announced the appointment of Doyle J. Thompson, former principal of Holland schools, as head of the ration banking department of the bank., succeeding J. Bruce Greeson, who resigned to take care of his personal business.
(1919) A high school YMCA was organized in Conway. There were 54 boys over 14 years of age who pledged themselves not to smoke cigarettes, to be clean in life and speech, to be honest in work and play, and to take part in some form of athletics. Plans for the immediate erection of a modern first-class hotel in Conway took form at a meeting of the Conway Commercial Club. Frank Farris, president, shared plans for a four-story, 50 x 150 feet building with 72 rooms and all conveniences. The tentative site was the D.O. Harton lot below Caspar’s Bakery on Main and Front Streets.