Conway seems to be a hot location for new restaurants these days and more keep announcing their plans to locate here. This week’s column highlights some of the newest announcements.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette recently reported that Cheba Hut, a cannabis-theme sandwich shop, has future plans to open a franchise location in Conway. Hunter and Darcie Fletcher, Conway residents, hold the franchise rights to three locations—Little Rock, Conway and Fayetteville.
“Cheba” is slang for marijuana but there is no THC or CBD in the food or drink preparations. Instead, it is just a theme for the restaurant with menu names harking to terms and references for weed.
Scott Jennings opened the Colorado-based Cheba Hut in 1998. There are now 25 locations in seven states. The menu features over 30 signature sub sandwiches as well as a variety of Rice Krispie treats, salads and munchies. Most locations also offer craft beer bars that feature local beers.
The former John Daly’s on Front Street has been rented to a local restaurateur. More details will be forthcoming at a later date. More downtown news may also be coming soon.
Billy’s Trophies and Awards, 1155 Front Street, Suite 5, will have a ribbon cutting Tuesday, June 11 at 4 p.m. Owner Billy Stanton has 23 years of experience and offers delivery service within the city limits. He can do anything from full color name tags to plaques, trophies and acrylic awards.
Rausch Coleman’s Matthew Meadows Community, 82 Lower Ridge Road, will have a grand opening Wednesday, June 12 at 11 a.m. Lunch will be provided as well as some giveaways.
Conway Regional Health System and Conway Corporation are hosting an Off the Clock: Baby Bridge Bash on Thursday, June 20, 7-9:30 p.m. on the UCA Campus side to celebrate the opening of the new pedestrian bridge on Dave Ward Drive.
There will be a firework show, bounce houses and desserts from Andy’s Frozen Custard, PattiCakes, Las Delicias, Ed’s Custom Baker, Sonic and Kona Ice. The fireworks show is scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. Bring your own chairs and bring your kids’ bikes so they can give the bridge a whirl.
Other sponsors are Engage Management, Salter Construction, Rogers Group, Moix RV and Garver. Parking will be available at the Second Baptist Church parking lot and at the retail locations on the south side of the bridge (Andy’s Frozen Custard, Burger King, etc.)
In case you missed it:
• Skinny J’s is opening a location at 2235 Dave Ward Drive, Suite 201 (old Roux’s location).
• Walk-Ons Bistreaux and Bar is building its first Arkansas location at 955 South Amity road in Lewis Ranch on the north side of the roundabouts.
• Denny’s is building a new location at 900 Crain Drive across from the commuter lot along Amity Road at Lewis Ranch.
• A 12,000 square-foot retail space is being constructed between the new Denny’s and Walk-Ons. Pre-leasing is taking place now on the to-be-developed space in the curve of Amity Road.
• 12 Hundred Apartments, 1200 Covington Way, are being built behind Pizza Ranch south of Dave Ward Drive.
• Repairs and general cleanup are taking place on the vacated Shucked Surf & Turf.
• Car Mart is building a location on Dave Ward Drive
• Patticakes is opening a second location on Front Street next to its corporate office. Plans are to have it open by mid-July.
Share your business news by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.