(2009) Karla Carney-Hall, Hendrix vice president for student affairs, and Matt Schichtl of Nabholz Construction were pictured leading a tour through the school’s new $24 million Student Life and Technology Center. The Vilonia High School football field would be named Centennial Bank Field after the bank’s generous donation of $100,000 to pay for the placement of synthetic turf on the stadium field and renovation of the track. Ashley Nance, who had just completed her first year as head girls’ basketball coach at Conway Christian, was named as one of the coaches in the all-star basketball game.
(1994) A grand opening carnival would be held June 18 at the new First National Bank West Branch located at Salem and Prince streets. Bethlehem House program director Terri Kienlen, development coordinator Lisa Fears, board president Jody Webb, and treasurer Bill Duvall cut the ribbon on a new addition at the facility which would house five male residents. Mallory McSpadden, 4, was pictured receiving her diploma from Teresa Ryan, owner and manager of The Learning Tree PreSchool, Montessori Education. Approximately 36 students received their diplomas in graduation ceremonies held at the school.
(1969) New Conway Kiwanis Club officers for 1969-70 were Ed Floyd, president; Dr. Jerry Manion, president-elect; Rev. William West, vice president; Dr. Faril Simpson, secretary; and Bill F. Johnson, treasurer. Directors would be Travis White, Ralva Bass, Dr. Conrad Carroll, Dr. Fred McCoy, Dr. Doug Poindexter, Vernon Palmer and Stanley Russ. Eight girls would compete for the title of Miss City Beautiful sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce City Beautiful committee. They were Suzanne Dunaway, Sandy Yates, Judy Terry, Diane Mauderstock, Kay Fronabarger, Melody Morrow, Linda Johnson and Betty Ethridge. The pageant would be held at the Holiday Inn.
(1944) One hundred and fourteen women and girls did volunteer work at the Red Cross surgical dressing room for the week. The group made 7,461 4 x 4 sponges and 1,813 4 x 8 sponges. E.E. Jones, Faulkner County’s oldest rural merchant who has been in business in Mount Vernon for over a half-century, was preparing to retire and had his store for sale. Two Missouri Pacific passenger trains met in Conway at noon under a new schedule. Both would arrive in Conway at 11:58 a.m. each day. Mrs. James Nicholson opened Frances’ Floral Shop in the Hendrix College Building, 1207 Oak.
(1919) The third ward team, of which Miss Allie Hill was captain, won the helmet offered by the women’s section of the victory loan organization for the ward team selling the highest number of bonds in a recent campaign. Miss Hill and her workers led the three wards of the city with a total of 45 bonds. Miss Bertha F. Reid, a team member, offered the individual campaigner selling the highest number. Miss Reid sold 18 bonds.