(2009) The University of Central Arkansas Board of Trustees offered the presidency to Allen Meadors, a Van Buren native and UCA graduate. Dylan Fulmer, 9, of Cub Scout Pack 444 in Vilonia was pictured retrieving arrows he shot into a target during the Foothills District Cub Scout Day Camp at Woolly Hollow State Park. About 200 boys attended the camp. Matthew Dail, who graduated from St. Joseph earlier in the year, had earned four championship rings, three in golf and one in basketball, during his high school career. He had been selected to play in the AHSCA all-star soccer match.
(1994) Hendrix College unveiled plans to build a new $7 million, 45,000-square-foot, three-story chemistry and physics facility next to the patio and above the old Bailey Library. Jordy Neill, 5, was pictured trying to hook a fish at a “fishing pond” while attending the Brian Hutchinson Children’s Fair at the park immediately south of city hall. Scot Attebery was selected to represent Arkansas at American Legion Boys Nation held at Marymount University in Arlington, Virginia. The first Mike Dunaway Wampus Cat Open three-man scramble and long driving exhibition would be held July 6 at Cadron Valley Country Club.
(1969) Nabholz Construction was the low bidder for the renovation of Meadors Hall to be used by the SCA ROTC. Robert D. Nabholz was appointed by Gov. Winthrop Rockefeller to serve on the Arkansas Waterways Commission, filling the unexpired term of William V. Alexander, Jr. who resigned upon his election to Congress. Mrs. Beatrice S. Bryson, extension home economists of Faulkner County, would retire after completing 35 years with the Agricultural Extension Service. After operating a beauty shop on the balcony of Fletcher Smith Jewelers, 826 Front, for 36 years, Mrs. Charles Powers sold out and retired.
(1944) One hundred and twenty-eight—about twice as many as expected—registered at the first session of the First Baptist Church Vacation Bible School. The enrollment was expected to reach 150. The Central Valley soil conservation service was assisting cooperating farmers in getting ponds constructed to reduce water shortages for their livestock. The Arkansas Bauxite Stripping Company, in cooperation with the district and soil conservation service personnel, began construction of farm water reservoirs north of Conway using a bulldozer. Ponds had been constructed for Deal Bell, I.O. Burchfield, Tom Stone and Charlie Anderson since June 1.
(1919) The formal resignation of Rev. L.M. Sipes as pastor of the First Baptist Church was given to the church. Rev. Sipes had accepted the pastorate of the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary Church in Fort Worth, Texas, one of the most important churches of the denomination in Texas. Rev. Sipes said he was leaving Conway with a “deep sense of regret.” During the three years of his tenure, he had been successful in encouraging the church members to lift the last of the heavy indebtedness incurred from the construction of the magnificent edifice on Robinson Avenue and Davis Street some ten years earlier.