The Faulkner County Sheriff’s Office Street Crime Unit (SCU) will be out patrolling Faulkner County on October 31 for Halloween. The Street Crime Unit will have a heavy presence in neighborhoods and wants drivers to know that they plan on enforcing traffic laws to protect the children that will be out walking the streets that night. The team will also be out doing extra patrols at parks, schools, cemeteries, and local businesses to make sure vandalism that may occur is controlled.
Sheriff Andy Shock stated that he discourages anyone that "plans on performing pranks that can get you in trouble. Just remember that deputies will be out to make sure everyone has a fun and safe night"
Drivers are also reminded to use extra caution Thursday night, especially when driving through neighborhoods, due to the increase in pedestrian traffic.
The Sheriff’s Office would like to give some safety tips to the parents and children to possibly make their night be a little safer;
• Children should trick-or-treat during daylight hours.
• Children should never be allowed to go out alone on Halloween.
• Children should never enter strangers’ homes.
• Never invite children into your home.
• Children should never accept rides from strangers.
• Children should never take shortcuts through backyards or alleys.
• Set a specific time limit for your children to be out on Halloween night.
• Instruct children not to stray from their group.
• A responsible adult should escort children while trick-or-treating.
• Adult escorts should carry flashlights.
• Don’t leave your home unattended on Halloween night.
• Keep pets inside your home, or other safe place on Halloween night.
• Children should walk, not run, during their trick-or-treat activities.
• Parents should know what route their children will be taking.
• Props such as toy guns or swords should be made of pliable material.
• Realistic replica firearms should never be used.
• Masks should not be worn if they impair vision.
• Wigs should be fireproof and should not restrict vision.
• Children should always use sidewalks, not the street, for walking.