Among reports recently released by the Conway Police Department:
1. Shots fired at 2200 block of Prince Street. An officer patrolling the Laurel Park area at about 2:10 a.m. Saturday heard several gunshots in the direction of Prince Street. The officer responded to see several vehicles exiting the nearby Laurel Plaza shopping center. Four 9mm Luger shell casings were found at the entrance to Laurel Plaza. Nothing seemed to be damaged by the gunfire and no one hurt. A resident at Mitchell and Martin streets heard several shots at almost the same time early Saturday morning and on Thursday night a resident reported that man in a blue pickup truck was driving down Spruce Street firing a handgun out the window.
2. DWI at Irby and Amelia drives. An officer responding to reports of a loud "explosion" and power outage at about 5:30 Sunday morning found that a Mini Cooper had crashed into a utility pole. The driver of the Mini, 23-year-old Brandi M. Watts of 4 Suzanne Drive, Mayflower, was arrested on suspicion of first-offense DWI after allegedly recording a breath alcohol content of .19.
3. DWI at 1400 block of Hardy Street. An officer responding to reports of a property damage accident arrested alleged at-fault driver Pedro Emilio Ajaetas-Barrera, 21, of 1209 Summer Circle, Conway, on suspicion of first-offense DWI. Ajaetas-Barrera refused to submit to field or chemical testing, according to the report.
4. Possession of a controlled substance at 2300 block of Broadview Avenue. An officer made a traffic stop early Sunday afternoon for suspected violation of the city’s noise ordinance. The driver, 19-year-old Joshua Alan Garrett of 15 Leisure Valley Drive, Conway, was arrested on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance after the officer found about five grams of suspected marijuana and a glass smoking device in the car.
5. Possession of a controlled substance at 1000 block of Van Ronkle Street. An officer patrolling the downtown area on foot before dawn Sunday noticed a man asleep in the passenger’s seat of a car with a baggie of what looked to be green, leafy vegetable matter resting on his chest. The man, 20-year-old Marcus Balentine of 201 Donaghey Ave., Conway, was awakened when the officer knocked on the window and asked "Whatcha got there?," according to the report, to which Balentine allegedly replied: "I can’t believe I fell asleep with a bag of weed on me." He was arrested on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance. The bag contained about five grams of suspected marijuana.
6. Unattended deaths at 800 block of Salem Road and 2100 block of Prince Street. A woman in her 60s was found dead in her Prince Street residence on Sunday night, and a woman in her 50s was found dead in her Salem Road residence on Thursday morning. Police didn’t immediately find reason to suspect foul play in either instance, according to the reports.
(Those with information pertaining to these reports or any unsolved crime are urged to contact the Conway Police Department at 450-6120. Staff writer Joe Lamb can be reached at 505-1238.)