On July 16, 1916: "…a quick moving blaze destroyed a boarding home on the corner of Davis and Bruce streets. The fire struck the home of Mrs. Sam T. Hardin. Several students were burned, and Mrs. Hardin was treated for hysteria. 

"It originated in a clothes closet in the room of one of eight students who attended the State Normal School. Although the three hose companies were credited with quick runs, the fire destroyed the home. 

"A lack of water pressure, resulting from all three hoses running off a single four inch main, was a large factor in the destruction of the home. This fire was one of the primary influences behind the change that would come to the department in the next year: motorization."