A Conway man died after an apparent physical altercation early Friday morning.

Ted Caleb Waldbuesser, 23, of Conway was pronounced dead at Conway Regional Medical Center following an altercation with 23-year-old David Buchholz of Morrilton.

According to Conway Police Department Public Information Officer Chris Harris, officers were dispatched to No. 6 Brandywine Cove at 2:45 a.m. Friday in reference to a fight. Officers found Waldbuesser lying in the driveway unconscious and not breathing.

According to Faulkner County Coroner Patrick Moore, Waldbuesser’s death was related to bleeding in the brain but was not caused by any serious trauma.

"The cause of death is intercranial bleeding," Moore said. "It was not trauma. There was an anomaly in the brain itself. The exertion and excitement of the fight probably caused things to go bad."

Moore said the victim’s family was unaware of the condition, which might have been impossible to identify previously. Although minor trauma was found, Moore said it was not fatal.

Moore said the death will still be ruled a homicide by the coroner’s office, since the incident involved another person.

Buchholz was transported to the Conway Police Department for questioning and was released without charges pending further investigation and review by the prosecuting attorney’s office.

"We’re waiting on more information from the medical examiner," 20th Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney Marcus Vaden said. "We hope to have more next week."

Harris said alcohol was a factor in the incident. 

University of Central Arkansas athletic department officials confirmed that Buchholz was a former member of the UCA football team. He spent two years as an offensive and defensive lineman before quitting the team in 2007.

Originally from Jasper, Mo., Waldbuesser was employed by Southwestern Energy Co., officials confirmed.

(Staff writer Stephanie Fischer can be reached by e-mail at stephanie.fischer@thecabin.net or by phone at 505-1238. Send us your news at www.thecabin.net/submit.)