A full agenda awaits members of the Conway Planning Commission for its meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Russell L. "Jack" Roberts District Court Building.
Conway Corp.’s application for a conditional use rezoning of about 80 acres at 1405 Lollie Road for construction of a wastewater treatment plant passed one hurdle last week when the commission’s conditional use committee approved the application with several conditions.
The rezoning will go before the full commission, as will the application for a conditional use to allow a wastewater pump station at 5398 Donnell Ridge Road.
The application has met with opposition from nearby residents and one friend of the alligator gar, University of Central Arkansas professor Mark Spitzer, the author of a book, "The Season of the Gar," about the almost-endangered beast that uses the nearby Tupelo Bayou outlet into the Arkansas River for its spawning grounds.
Commissioners deferred a decision on the treatment plant until the conditional use committee could investigate further.
The property was annexed into the city in 2009 as part of the Lollie Bottoms airport annexation.
In other business, the commission will have public hearings concerning:
• An application from Deep Well Ministries for a conditional use permit for restricted office and religious activities in an existing structure at 625 Donaghey, the corner of Donaghey and Louvenia. The property is currently zoned R2-A (duplex).
• Conway Public Schools is asking that 18 acres at 1805 Old Military Road be annexed for the proposed new elementary school and that a conditional use permit be granted in the property zoned A-1 (agricultural).
• Carolyn and Charles Gates are asking that 2.22 acres at 1729 and 1735 Old Military Road be annexed as R-1, residential. This annexation would provide a contiguous connection to the proposed Conway Public Schools new elementary school property.
• T-Mobile Central, LLC is requesting rezoning from R-1 (single family) to RU-1 (restricted use) for construction of a cell tower at 2300 Prince St., near the Conway High School-West softball field. The cell tower would also serve as a light pole for the softball field.
• Rush-Hal Development is asking for a rezoning of 4.5 acres from A-1 to R-2 (small lot duplex) in Shepherd’s Creek Subdivision, a duplex subdivision, north of Quail Run subdivision at the terminus of Abbey Gail Drive.
(Staff writer Becky Harris can be reached at 505-1234 or email@example.com)