Centerpoint Energy crews worked for an hour to stop a natural gas leak Tuesday near the corner of Prince and Center streets. 

Conway Fire Department Assistant Chief Mike Winter said that residents of six homes in the area were advised of the leak and evacuated on a voluntary basis after the call came in at 2:40 p.m.

Winter said that the first emergency response unit arrived on the scene at 2:42 p.m.

Administrators at Conway High School-East, a block away from the reported leak, were notified but the school was not evacuated, according to Chief Bart Castleberry, due to the direction of the wind.

"If the wind would have been blowing in the direction of the school, we would have evacuated. We didn't think it was necessary for a mandatory evacuation. Everyone has been monitoring everything and the gas line is now off," said Castleberry.

Castleberry said that the leak was caused when an independent contractor struck a Centerpoint Energy line while boring for utility purposes at a residence on the corner of Prince and Center streets.

The leak was stopped at 3:44 p.m., according to the Conway Fire Department.