GREENBRIER — The old physical education building on the Greenbrier Junior High School campus will soon be demolished and replaced soon with a new building. Tear down is expected to begin in mid-October.
A drop-in gathering to meet, mingle and reminisce is scheduled from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday at the site. A time for any community member to say farewell to this piece of history was the idea of students, Molly Churchwell and Blayne Cameron-Wyatt. The event will be hosted by the Greenbrier High School EAST students.
Built in 1950, this old building holds many memories of two boys’ senior high tournament wins in 1965 and 1966; four senior high girls’ state tournament wins in 1956, 1957, 1958 and 1960. The first game played in the gym was Dec. 5, 1950 against Enola for a win of both games.
The architect was Hugh Henry, who modeled it after the Arkansas Teachers College (now the University of Central Arkansas) gym. Contractors were Oliver Brannon and Clyde Kelso. Several local citizens helped with the construction work that summer of 1950 and even included four students — Jimmy Leiblong, Bobby Hankins, Robert Wilson and Martin Owen Glenn.
For more information, contact Kim Austin at email@example.com.