Antwan Fowler, 27, of Conway, was arrested Friday by U.S. Marshals in Little Rock and now faces felony charges of first-degree murder and possession of a firearm by a felon.

Fowler was a suspect in the shooting death of Stevie Thomas, 28, that occurred in the area of 1170 Ingram Street in Conway on June 20.

According to La Tresha Woodruff, public information officer for the Conway Police Department, warrants issued Friday were pending an investigation and the suspect's release from a Little Rock hospital.

On June 20, officers were dispatched at 12:30 a.m. to the scene of a shooting where it was reported that two subjects had received gunshot wounds.

It was reported by the Log Cabin Democrat the day of the shooting that Fowler was shot several times, "and at least once in the head."

Fowler was transported to a Little Rock hospital, where his condition was listed as critical.

Thomas had left the scene of the incident before officers arrived at the block on Ingram Street, but he was located a short time later at the scene of an automobile accident at Locust and Caldwell streets in downtown Conway.

According to the initial report, Thomas, who had received at least one gunshot wound, was picked up from the scene by his brother, Kenneth Thomas, who was transporting him to Conway Regional Medical Center. Woodruff stated that investigators believed that

Kenneth Thomas, the deceased's brother, lost control of the vehicle while crossing railroad tracks and crashed into a utility pole.

Kenneth Thomas was recovering in a Little Rock hospital at the time of the report.

Stevie Thomas was transported to Conway Regional Medical Center, where he later died of his injuries.

Twentieth Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney Cody Hiland said Friday that his office officially issued charges for Fowler's arrest at around 2 p.m. on Friday.

Fowler was first picked up on the firearm warrant, and then the murder charge was made while he was being held at the Faulkner County Detention Center, where he is being held without bond.

Hiland and Woodruff did not know the date of Fowler's release from the hospital.

(Staff writer Courtney Spradlin can be reached by e-mail at or by phone at 505-1236. To comment on this and other stories in the Log Cabin, log on to Send us your news at