The Conway Fire Department's firefighters and Honor Guard received in reverent fashion Monday a 500-pound piece of steel harvested from the rubble of the World Trade Center.
The piece arrived by shipping truck at around 11 a.m. to Conway's Central Station downtown.
Assistant Chief Mike Winter said that the piece, a rust-covered steel beam under five-feet in length, will be incorporated into a memorial that will be unveiled next April when the department celebrates its 100th year anniversary.
The artifact was received through the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns and houses all steel remnants of the towers that were destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001 in terrorist attacks.
Winter said that the department, along with many in the United States, petitioned the Port Authority for a piece with the understanding that it would be fixed into a public memorial to honor the victims and the emergency personnel who suffered or died at the site in New York City more than 10 years ago.
The department completed paper work to be a recipient about one and a half years ago, and received noticed that the department had been chosen in March.
Winter said that the department waited for word that their piece may be shipped out and received short notice Monday that it was coming to them.
All available off- and on-duty personnel were called to Central Station to receive the beam in a fashion similar to that of when it was collected and sent.
"As I understand it, firefighters there collected and prepared the artifacts in this way and we should receive it in the same manner that it left. If they take the time to honor any time a piece of it leaves, it's the least we can do," said Winter.