Kelli Jo Brock, an adult probation officer who claimed in 2009 to have been shot in the leg by an intruder during a residential burglary, was indicted by a grand jury last week on charges of falsifying information during an investigation and falsifying a document during a federal investigation to obstruct or influence the investigation.

Robert Allan Fredrickson, 41, of Conway was arrested in July 2009 on suspicion of residential burglary and the first-degree battery of Brock, 43, of Conway. Brock alleged that Fredrickson broke into her home and shot her in the leg with her Glock 23 semi-automatic pistol during a struggle.
At Fredrickson’s trial in 2010, Brock testified that she recognized her masked assailant’s voice and, to an extent, his features. Defense witnesses placed Fredrickson away from the crime, but Fredrickson spent eight months in jail before a jury acquitted him on all charges.

The two-count indictment alleges that on August 10, 2010, Brock “knowingly and willfully” made a “false, material statement” to agents with the FBI and U.S. Postal Service inspectors concerning the receipt of a threatening letter she received in the mail and the events occurring May 2 through July 11, 2009.

In a typewritten statement, Brock said she reached out with both hands and grabbed the pistol. She said she then “pulled down and twisted” in the same motion, attempting to gain control of the gun, when two shots were fired.

The indictment says that on Sept. 8, 2010, Brock demonstrated for federal agents how she grabbed the gun from her assailant. It was later determined that “as [Brock] then and there well knew,” the semi-automatic pistol “could not have fired two sequential shots” if it was held in the manner in which Brock described.

The indictment also alleges that Brock “did knowingly falsify” a statement of the events occurring between May 2 and July 11, 2009, “with the intent to impede, obstruct, and influence the investigation.”

Rhonda Sharp, public relations manager with the Arkansas Department of Community Correction, on Wednesday provided Brock’s letter of resignation from the agency. The letter is dated Wednesday, May 9 and Brock’s resignation is effective Friday.

“This has been an extremely difficult decision. However, due to my ongoing medical issues, it has become apparent that I need to focus on caring for my health,” Brock states in the letter.

The district attorney’s office summoned Brock to appear in court for a plea and arraignment hearing.

Brock faces up to five years in prison and/or a $250,000 fine, with three years supervised, if she is found guilty on charges of making a false statement. Additionally, Brock faces up to 20 years in prison and/or a $250,000 fine, with no more than five years of supervised release, if convicted of falsifying a document in a federal investigation.

(Megan Reynolds is the staff writer and can be reached at 505-1277 or by e-mail at To comment on this story and others, visit