Mirian Mitchell Hulen Scott asked daily for updates about Hendrix College. She cared about education — all kinds of education — and specifically the college, friends said.

The prominent Hendrix alumna died Wednesday, July 18, at age 98.

On Friday, about 50 people crowded First United Methodist Church — the same church where Scott was baptized at the age of 2 — to honor Scott’s life. Jimmy Dalton, an adopted grandson, choked back tears as he read a poem he said represented her.

“She was so little. She was the sweetest lady,” Dalton said Thursday.

Scott was known in the Conway community for her connection to Hendrix College and her love of education.

“She had grown up on that campus,” said her friend Sue Osment Jones of Conway. “The first thing she wanted to know [everyday] was ‘what’s going on at Hendrix this week.’ She loved that school.”

Scott, a former teacher who dressed meticulously and loved to tell real-life stories, moved to the Hendrix Campus in 1916 when she was 2. Her mother, the late George Emma “Georgia” Mitchell Hulen, was a dietitian at the college. Later, Scott would recall recipes her mother used to serve. In the early 1950s, Hendrix opened the cafeteria named in Hulen’s honor as “Hulen Hall.” Scott’s father, Grover, taught at Hendrix and later became a night watchman when he retired, Jones said.

The entire family loved Hendrix College, Jones said.

In 1935, Scott graduated from Hendrix with an English degree. She moved away from Conway, but then moved back, Jones said. Scott and Jones became friends in the early 1990s after Scott remembered Jones through stories her mother used to tell.

Scott was small in stature and kind, Dalton said. Scott decided to take Dalton under her wing and “adopt” him after his own grandmother died.

One day, Scott said: “You’re adopted,” Dalton said. “I said, ‘OK, I need another grandmother.”

In May, when Dalton had surgery, Scott called daily to check on him.

“She was very interested in other people,” Jones said. “She was far more interested in other people than she was in telling me what she was doing.”

Long after Scott could no longer drive because of failing vision, she called people and talked on the telephone. Until about five years ago, she attended church regularly at First United Methodist, Jones said. She liked to have Dalton over for long talks and to tell family stories, he said. Even as her hearing deteriorated, she had her phone adapted so that she could call loved ones, Dalton said.

Scott loved to be involved in education, Jones said.

She received her master’s in education from Peabody College in Nashville, Tenn., and worked in Wilson Public Schools for eight years. She worked in the Conway Public Schools for 33 years. She was the first reading specialist in the state and the first curriculum coordinator for the Conway Public Schools.

Jones said Scott worked with Julia Moore and Ruth Doyle, after whom the district has named school buildings.

“I regret to this day there wasn’t a school named after her,” Jones said.

Scott also taught graduate classes at the University of Central Arkansas when it was known as the Arkansas State Teachers College, according to her obituary.

The Sunday before she died, Scott was taken to the hospital, where she died at about 3 a.m., Dalton said.

“I was there when she passed away,” Dalton said. “She just faded away.”