A fire at a duplex Tuesday night displaced two families and damaged the structure severely enough that it is now uninhabitable, said Mike Winter, assistant fire chief.

No one was injured in the blaze, Winter said. Several children were displaced when their homes burned, Cpt. Phil Kirkland said.

The fire started at 1133 Gum St. at about 5:31 p.m. Tuesday and spread next door through the duplex's attic to 1131 Gum St. The Conway Fire Department was on scene by 5:35 p.m. and cleared the scene by 7:19 p.m., Winter said.

One side of the duplex is gutted,  Kirkland said. Cost estimates for the building and contents are between $80,000 and $100,000, he said. The duplex is not livable currently, but firefighters were able to save the building, confining the fire to a back room and the attic, Winter said.

The case remains under investigation, but no foul play is suspected. The fire was likely caused by a candle, Winters said.

The American Red Cross was on scene to help the displaced families last night. Responding agencies also included Metropolitan Emergency Medical Services and the Conway Police Department.