It was Friday, Nov. 29 at 6:52 p.m. when police were called to a Harrison Street address about a drunk woman. (Report speak here was a little different: "…possible Code 2 (drunk) female.")

Police arrived and there, in the middle of the street, stumbling, was what was apparently a drunk woman. A man was standing nearby, on the side of the road, watching her. The woman was saying something but the officer couldn’t make it out, her speech being as slurred as it was. The officer confirmed the man was the one who called in the report and asked him what was going on. Before the man could answer the woman began yelling at the officer, just what not being recorded as she was "inaudible," per the report. It was about here the officer noted the woman had "blood and snot" coming from her nose.

The officer, a second officer assisting, asked the woman if she needed medical help. She did not, was her reply, stumbling and nearly falling over as she made it. At this point the woman’s "odor of intoxicants" was quite notable, coupled with bloodshot eyes and the like, the officer reported. He was, however, able to get her first name.

The man, the observer, told the officer he spotted the woman outside lying in the street after stumbling and called police. He assumed her fall was why her nose was bleeding. He didn’t know who she was, the man said, nor for that matter did he know from whence she came.

The officer asked the woman where she was from. "Conway!" was the woman’s reply, with no further detail offered. All this considered, the woman was put in handcuffs for the ride downtown. That’s when it got interesting.

As the handcuffs went on the woman got upset and began yelling and cursing — loudly, "very loudly," per the report. As the officers began to walk her to the reporting officer’s patrol car for the ride she went limp, forcing both officers to carry her.

In the car she began beating her head against both her seat on the divider cage. The decision was made to seat belt her, the hope being that doing so would keep her from flailing around. With this the woman began spitting at the officers. Finally she was buckled in.

At the jail the woman was no less aggravated, and the officer had a jail officer help get her out of the car — the second officer having stayed behind to get the calling man’s statement. The woman continued spitting, and the decision was made to put her in a "spit mask." This was, with some difficulty, accomplished and the woman was taken into the jail from the car. She continued to yell and curse, and the decision was made to take her straight to a restraint chair. One of the officers at the jail recognized the woman, and was able to give the officer her full name, adding that every time he had seen her she was "highly intoxicated."

The woman was charged with public intoxication, along with disorderly conduct and battery. No mug shots were taken, due to her nature, coupled with the spit mask.

Life of crime

Police got a call from Belk’s Department store Thursday, Nov. 30 at 2:12 p.m. An officer arrived there and spoke with the loss prevention associate.

The woman told the officer of a man who had come in the store earlier and shoplifted some things. Shortly after this, she said, she got a call from a nearby clothing consignment store and the same man was in her store, trying to sell the recently pilfered things. The man had just left the consignment store, police were told, but was due back there shortly to pick up the money for the items he’d just sold.

The officer, before he left Belk’s, watched security camera footage showing the man selecting several things, then walking out without paying for them. He headed over to the nearby consignment store.

The officer and a sergeant met the manager of the consignment store, they spoke, and then the officer waited in the store for the man seen shoplifting to arrive. After a short wait the man walked in, and up to the counter. There the officer met him and arrested him for shoplifting and theft. The items taken from Belks were recovered, and those were returned to that store.

The man, 23, was taken to jail and issued a citation for his charges.

Burning bridges

On Nov. 29, a Wednesday, police were called to the Holiday Inn on Sanders Street about a harassment complaint. There police met with a manager. It was 2:24 p.m.

The manager said earlier that day she had fired a woman, giving police the woman’s name. The woman left the area, she said.

Shortly after the woman left, the manager said she sent a text to her, asking her to return her uniforms via a second woman, still employed by the hotel, as she didn’t want the now-fired woman at the hotel. Further, she said, she told the woman her final check would be mailed to her.

The woman replied, also via text. The text, quoted in the report, contained various forms of vile slang and assertions that the manager was racist, as well as suggestions as to what the manager should kiss. Furter, in the texted reply, was the assertion that should the check not arrive in prompt order dire retribution would be exacted.

This, the report stated, "alarmed" the manager.

She was given a report number and the warrants process was explained to her.