The new guy

Dec. 3, an early Sunday morning, when police were called to a home at 6:46 a.m. The man of the house had gotten up and, upon entering his living room, found another man sleeping on the couch. He called police, they responded. The man, he told the reporting officer, remained asleep on his couch and he did not know who the man was.

The officer went in and woke the man up. He asked him (start with the easy questions, I say) if he lived there. He did not, the man replied. That being the case, why was he there, on the couch, asleep?

Some friends, the man replied, dropped him off there earlier.

The officer got the 25year-old man’s name and had the man step outside where they could speak and, perhaps, get more details on the events which led to him sleeping on a stranger’s couch. The man explained to him that he had been at Bears Den the previous evening with some friends and, while there, had gotten really drunk ("thoroughly intoxicated" in report-speak). They left the restaurant, and he friends dropped him off in the neighborhood, thinking he had some friends there.

He did not, the man said. Instead he found his way to the home in question, climbed its front gate and let himself in through the unlocked back door, then laid down at the couch, inebriation’s siren song having staked its claim.

The officer returned his attention to the man of the home, explaining the events. The man said he didn’t feel a need to file charges, per se, but he did want his fence fixed, since Toad Suck Van Winkle had taken it out when he climbed over it. The homeowner was advised of the warrants process, should he decide to pursue such remedy.

A report number was issued, and the young man was given a ride home.

("Rip Van Winkle" the classic short story of a man who fell asleep only to wake up 20 years later. When he awoke the American Revolution had taken place. The story was set in the Catskill Mountains of New York - which remains an especially scenic area. In the story, Rip Van Winkle drank the liquor of some men he met in the mountains which caused him to sleep for 20 years. The drink was an enchanted form of Jenever, a type of Dutch gin.)


A man called police on Thursday, Dec. 7. It was a little after 2 p.m. He was calling, dispatch relayed to the reporting officer, because of a missing air conditioning unit. He gave an address and the officer met the man there.

The address, the man explained, is where he and his wife are building a home. As the officer investigated the missing air conditioning unit, actually an HVAC unit was taken by the Little Rock company it had been purchased from.

The man who prompted the report said his builder, giving the officer the builder’s name, had not been paying suppliers or contractors. It appeared, relative to this, that the HVAC unit had not been paid for and was repossessed by the originating company.

The man said he was working with an attorney to reconcile the situation, which included his terminating his contract with the home builder.

In an update, the man spoke with the officer later, telling him of coming into the home and finding the people from the HVAC business inside. He told them to get out and not come back, the same instructions he had given his home builder. He was in the process of changing locks on the home and asked the officer for extra patrols to be assigned to the neighborhood.

Lost and found

It started with a relatively minor report. Maid service had found something in a motel room after a guest checked out and police were called to the room about what was found. Long story short, a bag of what appeared to be methamphetamine was found in a room while it was being cleaned. The bag was turned over to police. This all took place Friday, Dec. 2, in the morning, at the Skyline Inn on Skyline Drive.

Police, however, stayed in the area. The man who checked out of the room had moved to a second room in the motel, moving from the second to the first floor, and police watched the first floor room to see if they could spot the man. As officers watched, a man entered and left the room, then entered it again. It was late, just after 11 p.m., but since the man was awake police decided to go have a word with him.

They knocked, and the man, 51, came to the door. They had found narcotics in the room he moved out of, police told the man. Did he have any narcotics with him, perhaps in the room? No, the man replied. Was the room rented in his name? Yes, yes it was, he replied. He, to the officer’s question, agreed that police could search his room. They did so.

In the room was a bag, and inside the bag was a glass pipe, the kind used for smoking methamphetamine. It had white residue in it, the officer noted. The officer asked the man about it, and the man said he’d forgotten it was in his bag.

Miranda rights were read to the man. After this were questions, which the man agreed to answer. That was his pipe, he told the officer, and there were not any other narcotics or things for consuming narcotics in the room. The drugs found in the other room belonged to a woman who had been staying there with him, he explained. He had been smoking meth, in both rooms, he said.

He was arrested for drug paraphernalia and taken to jail.