MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — The 19-year-old man indicted in the murder of former University of Central Arkansas basketball star Jimmy McClain was the victim’s stepson who had lived with him earlier for several years, investigators said Wednesday.

Dwayne Moore was indicted Tuesday on first-degree murder charges for the death last month of McClain, 49, who was found dead around 10 a.m. on Feb. 22 in his home at 7667 Cordova Club after he had not been seen or heard from in two days.

According to The Commercial Appeal, Shelby County Sheriff Bill Oldham said McClain was shot multiple times with a 40-cal. weapon by Moore, who is a son of McClain’s estranged wife. He added that the wife "cooperated fully with us."

Moore, who has been held in jail on a $2 million bond since March 5 on unrelated burglary charges, has not given investigators a statement.

"He has not cooperated in any shape, form or fashion," Oldham said at a news conference, adding that there was no sign of a disturbance at the home. "Our victim was totally surprised."

Moore lived at the address in his earlier teen years, he added, but moved out when his mother and McClain separated. Moore graduated from high school in Washington, D.C.

Investigators said Moore, who attended McClain’s funeral, became a suspect in the first few days after the death.

The sheriff declined to discuss a motive for the killing.

Moore was arrested in connection with a Jan. 30 burglary on Wolfchase Circle where a custom Bushmaster AR15 rifle, accessories and ammunition were taken. The items are valued at some $1,900.

On March 5, detectives received a photo from an anonymous source showing Moore holding the stolen assault rifle rifle. An electronic stamp showed the photo was taken at 5:59 p.m. on Jan. 30 at latitude and longitude coordinates that line up with Moore’s apartment residence at 1976 Northpoint Road, authorities said.

The owner identified his guns in the photo and said he recognized Moore, an acquaintance, by his tattoos.

McClain played college basketball at the Unniversity of Central Arkansas and later was a player with several minor league professional teams. In 1994 he played with the Memphis Fire of the United States Basketball League and became coach at Ridgeway High School a year later.

He also was the pastor of a small church in Arkansas.

"He was a good person and he was a good person for our community," said Lt. Kevin Helms, the lead investigator in the case. "This is a bittersweet moment for his family."