Lady Cats down Shiloh in tourney
SPRINGDALE — Conway’s Lady Cats romped past Shiloh Christian, 92-51 Thursday in the first round of the Siloam Springs holiday tournament.
The leading scorer for the Lady Cats was senior Enjonae Chambers with 20 points. Jordan Danberry scored 18 points, followed by 15 points from Deborah Downs, 13 from Kianna Speight and 11 from Christin Rogers.
Mills coach says he tried to contact officials
Apparently a communication problem resulted in Little Rock Mills’ boys being removed from the Battle at The Brier.
When Vilonia’s boys were dressed out and preparing for Thursday night’s opening-round game at Greenbrier’s Panther Pavilion, their opponent (Little Rock Mills) was a no-show. Having received no notification from Mills (Hazen and Bauxite had pulled out of the tournament because of weather-related issues the night before), Greenbrier coaches contacted Little Rock Mills officials and were informed the district was unable to secure a bus from the Pulaski County School District, but that the Comets planned to make it to Greenbrier on Friday via private vehicles.
However, saying he nor his staff had been notified of any issues for Thursday’s games, and faced with a rescheduling problem at the last minute, Stephen Wood, Greenbrier’s athletic director, removed Mills from the field and replaced it with Charleston.
Contacting the Log Cabin via email, Mills coach Raymond Cooper said he attempted to call Greenbrier boys coach Jason Johnson several times both Wednesday and Thursday and said the voice mail was not set up so that he could leave a message. Cooper said he also sent an email to Greenbrier officials but got no response. He then said he had spent several hours on the telephone Thursday calling coaches, players and parents to make travel arrangements for personal vehicles so his team could make Friday’s round of the tournament.
He said he made several efforts to reach Greenbrier officials to inform them of the travel situation and plans to play in the tourney Friday but received no response.
"Jason (Johnson) said he had a missed call about 9 Thursday morning but no message," Wood said. "We heard nothing after that until Jason texted the coach when Mills wasn’t here. Fortunately, we were able to find a replacement at the last minute and we were able to get the tournament continued on schedule Friday."
Conway Blue game called off
The junior high basketball games between Conway Blue and Clarksville, scheduled for Jan. 3, have been cancelled.
The games were to be played at Buzz Bolding Arena. Steve Daniels, Conway’s athletic director, said Clarksville officials informed him the teams couldn’t make it because of travel- and weather-related issues.